Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CSR 260 oil consumption

kevin.elgoodricardo.com

O/T But I've just had a new engine after 6,000 miles in a new Polo GTI. VW tried to argue that a 1.4 producing 180 bhp and 128 bhp per litre would use oil. It was using 1 and 1/2 litres every 1,000 miles. The dealer thought that totally unacceptable and after some agro with VW the engine was replaced.

The consumption you are experiencing does seem high.

I wonder if the variation could be down to how they are run in and what oil they are run in on? I don't think CC spec any different oil for running in do they? The POBC suggested I used a mineral oil to run my Duratec in and I decided to give it the beans from day one (as soon as the oil was hot of course). After 500 miles I used Fuch's 5-40 synthetic. To date it seemed to be working well as it has used no oil and although it hasn't seen a proper track yet it will on Monday so I'll see how it does then.

Jason

For the first 500 miles my CSR ate up about 0.5L of mineral oil. For the next 900 miles it has run on Castrol semi-synthetic, had two hard track days, and seemingly only gone through 0.2L. I keep topping up but it is being spit out into the catch tank so it must have found the right level. Probably wasted the other 0.8L in the catch tank!