Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear wing position

Paul Deslandes

Trying to fit rear wings to a reskinned body without predrilled wing fixing holes (the body that is, not the wings which are drilled).

Can someone be kind enough to measure the position of the wing for me on an S3 car by measuring the distance from the centre of the A frame bolt to the leading outside edge of the wing. I've been told that this should be 5 1/2 inches but this would set the wing too far back as the radius arm would touch the inside of the wing. I've also read in the archives that it should be 100mm which would be way too short

If all else fails I'll have to 'wing it' 😬

thanks Lee. Any chance you could measure the distance between centres of the front lowest fixing hole and the A frame bolt? It would save me a trip over and would be perfectly accurate enough to get them fixed. Otherwise unless someone comes up with a measurement I can use I'll come over with a tape measure

Paul

thanks for the info and kind offers. I'll give Caterham a ring tomorrow and see if they can give me an answer and failing that I'll take one of you up. If I'd known is was going to be this hard I'd have made a template similar to yours before I let them strip the car Malcolm.

Unless of course someone else can pop out with a tape measure................

I had a look at your site Miles and can see how I could do it without any measurements but, as you say, it will be a lot easier if I have at least one as a datum to work off.

Thanks for your measurement Jason. It certainly sounds about right as the 5 1/2" is definitely too small and another 1/4" should do it. A problem I have is that the exhaust tailpipe is very close to the wing so if I go too far it'll interfere. With the engine out I can't really put the exhaust on to check clearance.

If Kenny can check his then we'll all know for sure what the correct value is for the future.

Kenny, thanks for the offer and you have blatmail.

Paul

i recently fitted a new rear panel and rear wings.

The original wings had a cut out for the Radius arms so I did the same. I found the hardest part was fitting the rear light blocks so they looked the same height. Oddly, when I measured both sides to ensure the light blocks were the same height from the ground they looked wrong. I eventually fitted them with a couple of people looking at them from various distances behind the car.

Right, thanks to Jason and Kenny for their measurements and all others with suggestions and guidance and offers of help.

The answer is that the outside bottom front edge of the rear wing should be 5.75" from the centre of the 'A' frame bolt. On the exhaust side, the mounting boss is 7" forward of the 'A' frame bolt so could also be used as a datum although I wouldn't be too sure of how reliable the positioning of that boss is in production. The upper radius arm boss is still pretty tight against the inside of the wing but I don't use it having opted for the lower position years ago. It would be worth checking the clearance of the exhaust tail pipe, and also the upper mount if you're using it, before drilling.

The idea of bolting the wings together to get the light blocks the same is also a good one.

Thanks again POBC

Edited to add that my wings have the radius arm cutouts but the arm would have fouled the inside of the wing panel.

Paul

Edited by - Paul Deslandes on 1 Aug 2011 11:44:14

See older post here

When I had trial fitted my rear lights in the position that was identical on each wing they looked wrong when a number of people looked at them. One seemed higher than the other, despite the measurements being spot on. I actually had to move one to a position which was different to what my measuring was telling me. Might be worth outlining where they should be using the two wings side by side method and then trial fixing them when you have the wings attached before drilling any holes.

I lined the rear wings up correctly with the rear skin so it looked "right", i.e wrapping around to the rear surface, then held the front in position and marked the holes onto the skins through the wing tabs. Never used a measure at all and they fit and look fine.

Try offering up so the rears are right then the fronts should be fine.