Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil leak from the Diff

Steve W

After a totally manic trackday at Rockingham I've found a leak. I appear to have lost some oil out of the Diff breather pipe. Would this be due to running on the banking at Rockingham? And for my next stupid question, how and with what do you top them up (AP LSD type *confused*)

Thanks Keith I think you would have been proud of me at Rockingham. Loads of sideways action 😬. The only thing that passed me all day was a Radical *thumbup*. He must have been taking it easy as I hunted him down and repassed *thumbup*. Not sure about the beer in the Diff (Guinness maybe).

Steve

I put EP90 in mine and it seems to work, The correct type should be on the chassis plate under the Engine cover.

A tip I read on here before doing mine is to jack the rear of the car on the chassis so the dedion tube drops down a couple of inches or so which gives much better access to the filler plug and hole. Remove the boot floor and fill using a funnel and rubber tube until it flows back out the filler all over the garage floor!

I've got a big Diff leak after Rockingham but not from the breather, unfortunately it looks like the front seal is failing 🙆🏻, don't fancy this job myself so will be getting somebody to do it for me

Mark

OK did not have time at the weekend so thought I would try topping up the Diff tonight.

So how the hell do you remove the filler plug *confused* I assume it’s the one just to the right of center (from the rear of the car). It looks like a star type bit (what size) but there is no room to fit a socket. Tried with a cut down 10mm Allen key but the plug is very tight and I was scared of rounding off the socket! Stupid question time can I just pour some EP90 down the breather pipe? If I over filled would it just blow out the excess? I’m going to extend the pipe and fit a small catch tank in the corner of the boot anyway.

Steve

think mine was a 10mm Allen bolt, I just used a big bar on the end of the Allen key to give the leverage required

A tip I read on here before doing mine is to jack the rear of the car on the chassis so the dedion tube drops down a couple of inches or so which gives much better access to the filler plug and hole. Remove the boot floor and fill using a funnel and rubber tube until it flows back out the filler all over the garage floor!

If you fill via the breather pipe (probably v. slow!) it will just chuck out any excess

Mark

I used a drain plug socket on mine, you get better leverage than an allen key. It had to be torqued up as I recall so I'd say undoing with an allen key will require a good dose of spinach in advance.

A tip on filling is to sit the EP90 in hot water to thin it out. It's a pig to pour cold and it'll make the job easier.

Once filled wipe of the excess onto a rag and offer said rag to Fat Arnie when he needs something to wipe grime off his hands next time he's in your garage - my how we laughed - EP90 smells goooood...