Click here if you are having website access problems ×

More Springs & Things

Smutly1

Similar to to posting by Chris but some specific questions

I have recently changed my Caterham and now have a 1.8 Roadsport with various mods. This was the late Paul Marriotts car, ex area organiser, and long standy good friend. Sadly Paul left us last year so somethings about the his car and the modifications are difficult to research and now I wish I paid more attention in our many Caterham conversations! My intentions are to continue to improve the 'Beast' as he called it. I will be using it almost exlusively on road.

Suspension wise I know the springs and dampers where changed. I'm not sure when exacltly but these were one of the later mods from memory. I think they where used units from a member? The car drives well but is not great over the bumpy stuff. I have what I believe are the original standard units but on the car at present are:

Adjustable platforms all round.

Front springs - Unknown make 170mm free length and 9.2 Wire diameter with 9 coils. The ground ends are at 180 degrees to each other (forgot to measure the overall spring diameter last night. There are no markings.

Front Dampers - Bilstein 1201836 2169M0

I don't know about the rears in detail yet as I will have to remove on but the springs look like progressive andthe dampers are Bilstein

The ARB is Blue 9/16" which I think is to stiff for road use.

I took the ARB off the other night and I cant tell a big difference in roll but it is less violent (feedback through the steering wheel) althought still not great.

I have checked the camber angles and found these to be too much and unequal on the fronts 2.5 and 2.0

I will check the tracking and set to parallel initially.

I have 2 spare front springs (maybe the originals) which are 190mm free length and 8 mm wire diameter with 10 coils and the ground ends are more or less in line with each other. They have green paint on the ends.

I also have 2 x dampers not from this car 6052169M000 and

1 x damper 0600B36 2169M1

Loads of info but essentially looking for advice for:

1, Anyone know what the current springs are?

2, Whats the difference between M0 and M1 Dampers and M000?

3, What are the 'Green Springs'

4, The sump clearance is 95mm with 14" wheels but this is with the front springs compressed by 21mm with the adjustable platforms. This leaves about 20mm off damper piston showing. If I reduce the ride height (I think the wishbones are not quite parrallel) wont this a) increase the stiffness and b) reduce the available damper travel?

5, What is the best set up for road?

6, Orange ARB or adjustable?

7, Rear ARB - Do I need one?

8, 13" or 14" wheels I have both or 15"?

9, Camber angle fronts?

10, What about alternative springs and dampers - worth considering and what ones?

Loads of questions and I guess loads of different opinions but hopefully I can establish what I already have and what way to go to make more improvements to the beast!

I use standard bilsteins, with adj platforms to get the car level with me in it and the recommended rake. With a touch of negative camber and 0 toe, and the standard washer configuration for castor, and an orange ARB and no rear ARB, I feel quite happy even on 14" ZV3s. I think this is a pretty perfect road set up, it's very comfortable and compliant. I have the rear trailing arms in the lower position too.

Match the ARBs to the tyres you have - the grippier they are, the stiffer you can go as I understand it. Don't buy 15" for the sake of it, taller sidewalls are comfier anyway 😶‍🌫️

In answer to a part of your question the M0 are the standard dampers and the M1 are updated slightly for stiffer springs. I use M1 with 130lb rear springs and I think I put 200lb on the front. Car is wide track with adjustable arb's front and rear both on soft settings. Seems ok to me on road and track.