Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Electrickery With the Stack Dash

velocityblade

After scouring previous posts unsuccessfully I am hopeful for POBC to assist.

K series R400 Superlight SV 2004.

Standard Stack Dash

Thought I had a cooling system problem - high water and oil temperatures with low oil pressure happened on a couple of occasions, with all sorts of warning on the Stack. Yet track days and long journeys showed no problems. Examinations showed nothing. Happened again recently so took a look today.

Turns out it is some kind of electrical problem.

With the water and oil temperature and pressure up to normal, I noticed if I put the heater fan on, indicated water temperature jumped 9 deg and oil pressure fell by around 12. If I turned on the heated screen, similar situation. If I put them both on, water temp went to 104, oil pressure dropped to 15 and the Stack system was a Christmas tree. ☹️

Switch them off, everything is showing normal. *wink*

I noticed the battery charge fell from 14.4V to13.5V when I turned them both on.

I know this is a bit vague but has anyone had any similar experience and/or a suggested fix? I am booked in for the annual service at CC Dartford next month, which will be my (expensive) fall back. 🙅🏻‍♂️

Thanks

I would suggest you ring Stack direct , they are most helpful. My Stack has been with them for two weeks getting a new PCB *rolleyes* and resealed due to damage with water ingress.

Cheers Neil

ps i presume you have checked all your earths are good and true as most electrical issues seem to stem from bad earths or /and water ingress!!

Beaten by time today Neil but earths were on my list. Problem is, which, where?

I also have a build up of condensation in the Stack, which comes and goes. Wonder if there is a connection from what you've said.

Edited by - velocityblade on 21 Jun 2011 22:39:49

Well my Stack has just been returned so hopefully chocks away! My Stack has had condensation which came and went as temperature changes. Then i had my tacho needle stick at 8000 rpm , and then all my LCD went blank. Moisture buggered the PCB. I recommend you speak to Stack on 01869 240404.

Cheers Neil

I was just talking with Matthew from Stack as you replied! *eek*

As you say Neil, really helpful. Seems I will need to take the part out and send it back and have the car off the road for up to 5 weeks. ☹️

How simple a job was it taking the dash out? I was wondering if it is worth asking CC to do that while it is in for it's service next month, or if I should take it out and send it off, afterwards

It is very easy to remove the Stack, the only tool you will need it a 5 or 5.5mm socket.

Put you hand behind the dash to the right had side (while sitting in the car), you will feel the only connector. It has a locking ring on the outside, turn this anti clock-wise and you will it unlock (there are 3 lugs that are the key). You will then be able to pull the hole thing off, pulling it away from you.

Now you will feel 4 nuts behind the Stack, 2 each side one above the other. These are attached to a small bracket, that holds the Stack to the back of the dash. Just undo each one, and remove the brackets (watch out for the small washers).

You should now be able to push the Stack from behind, and out of the dash panel towards you.

*thumbup*

Thanks Doug; you make it sound "Simples" *wink*

So now I can take the Stack system off and send it back for de-humidifying and a possible PCB change, which will be a great help. That's going to be late July.

Hope that clears the electrical problem. If not, it's back to the drawing board.....

Thanks everyone for your interest. Update will follow in a couple of months. *thumbup*

• 4 weeks later...

Update for those of you kind enough to offer advice and those idly checking in on this post....

Picked up the car from CC at Dartford after it's 12k service. Nice job I have to say. *thumbup*

As the car was in for 2 days for this service, I asked them to check the earth on the dashboard to see if that was the problem, before I ventured into removing the STACK system and having no car for a few weeks.

CC removed, cleaned and replaced all the earth contacts on the switchgear on the dash.

Bingo - I can now drive with the heated screen or heater fan or wipers on (or all 3) and my recorded oil pressure and temperature and my water temeperature remain normal! No more nasty STACK flashing lights telling me I had a problem when I didn't. *wink*

So, all I have now to worry about is a little condensation inside the STACK display, so that will be coming out and going back to STACK when the so-called summer is behind us and the car can be off the road for a month without me being too upset.

Thanks to you all again for your help and advice. *wavey*

• 1 month later...

Really glad I spotted this thread; I have exactly the same issue - putting on the heated screen raises the temp on the stack by about 20deg!

Apologies for the upcoming numpty question, but how do I identify the earths for the switchgear? Is it a question of pulling the leads out and cleaning the pegs with wd or is more involved?

thanks

Mark

first place to start is probably the main dash earth which Is usually fastened to a wiper motor bolt, (under scuttle LHS) make sure connections are shiny clean, emery/wet and dry is paper good for this, then, if no joy, identify earth connectors and again clean spades with abrasive, also try to clean inside of female connector with abrasive sheet,

Tim