Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Should I?

Mike Biddle

Consider changing my tyres from Avon CR 500's to Kumho V70A?

Need a new set shortly so have to decide.

I know the Kunho's may be a bit cheaper but that is not part of my decision.

I use the car mainly for touring, (Austria in August this year) fast road, some trackdays and sprints. Have spare set of wheels that can be employed for track and sprint, so fast road and touring is the main application here.

If Kumho, which compound? Soft front, meduim rear?

POBC opinions sought!

Thanks, Mike.

What was your tyre-wear like on the Assault of the Alps tour, Mike?

My rear R888s were toast and wouldn't have been legal if I had actually made it back into the UK under my own power. Fronts take a lot less hammering, obviously, but one of my reasons for moving to A021s (not suggesting these as an option for you though) was to have a fighting-chance of getting through a full international tour and to stay legal in the process.

What I'm trying to say is - not sure that I'd want to go soft for a touring tyre.

Do you have different front and rear tyres though? The Westie runs 205s front and back, so that's a get-out-of-jail-free card in itself.

Myles, no problem with tyre wear on last tour, in fact there is still 3-4MM of wear left on the rears and the fronts even more.

There will be a rolling road session prior to Austria so I will probably have to change at least the rears, and the fronts are getting a bit old now, hence the question.

215 on the front, 235 rears, so no chance to interchange.

NoLimits, how many miles do you get from a set, and what car do you have?

I was looking at different grades front/rear because with the CR500's there are no grade options so fronts last a lot longer than rears.

Dont know what final drive and diff you are running Mike but the 235 Kumhos have a smaller rolling radius than the CR500 rears - in fact your car will feel noticeably shorter geared so they may not be as suitable for touring. IMO the med compound Kumho is a brilliant tyre for the circuits which I have used for several years and order from Mel Williams). *thumbup*