Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Urgent Megajolt Connection Help

bstark

Aaaaaarrrgh!!!

I've got the car booked in for its mapping session first thing on Thursday and now I find our laptop won't talk to the Megajolt...

As it worked on 7 Indulgence's machine I stupidly assumed it would work on mine. First problem - no serial port...

Ok, went to Maplins, got a USB-Serial convertor. It installed fine but for some reason when I try and change the baud rate to the specified 4800 it doesn't do anything - just reverts to 9600. This may be a red herring but I'm guessing its why it won't talk to the unit in the car. Both com port and configurator are set to Com 3. The laptop is running Windows 7.

Any ideas? I'm currently looking at having to cancel the session at last minute if I can't resolve it... 😔

Ah, oh the fun of setting the USB com port...

Have a look on Autosprot labs pages and they have a tutorial on setting up the correct USB port for the adapter. This is probably the most tricky part of the MJ instal and catches a lot of folks out.

Try here

As MOCA2CV states, are you sure the SW is WIN7 compatible 1st... ?

I use an old XP laptop and it seems to work fine for me.

Jon

Yep - the problem is that though the laptop now shows a com port, it won't let me change the baud setting (or rather it lets me doesn't actually change it *rolleyes*).

I'm trying to source an older laptop but am rapidly running out of time. ☹️

An old laptop may not fix the problem, so I'd try a different USB to serial converter. The ones from Prolific work. Which version of Megajolt are you running? If you are trying to get 4800 bps it must be V2 or V3 hardware. Which version of the configurator are you trying to use?

Stoopid firewall has blocked the site *mad*

If the configurator sets the baud rate then I simply have a problem that it won't work, and with no idea why 😔

I can see a last minute session cancellation coming sadly.

Thanks for the suggestions *thumbup*

No idea why it wouldn't work but thankfully a laptop borrowed from work (still running Windows 7) worked first time.

All been rolling roaded now and very pleased with the results. *smile*

• 2 weeks later...