Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What cams for the twink?

PSJ

• Area Representative

Quoting myothercarsa2cv: 
One of these?

I believe this just replaces the points, thus eliminating the need for minor adjustments every so often.

That is indeed all an old lumenition set up will do *smile*

• Area Representative

*arrowup* Points are electrical contacts inside the distributor which are normally closed but as the engine turns they open each time a spark is needed to ignite the fuel/air mixture in the cylinders.

I was going to go on a bit but then I thought diagrams might help and I had a look for something like this *smile*

I hope that helps shed a little light.

All the best

Richard

I've just fitted an Aldon Ignitor distributor to my xflow with the correct advance curve for the engine.

It's made a huge improvement to the driveability of the car - pulls well right through the rev range, no stutters and I'm now getting 23mpg *eek* *tongue*. This has replaced a lucas dizzy with points, apart from sticky tyres a big red starter button, one of the best upgrades I've made 😬

I bought 2 second hand ones from Blatchat.

I've only used the one, so if you want to offer me half of what I paid let me know, I'll send you a blatmail once I dig out the price.

I'm not sure about the advance curve for a twin cam, but I'm sure if you found that out, you could return the dizzy to Aldon and they would adjust it to suit your engine. I'm assuming that if you have a xflow block it should fit without a problem.

Cheers *wavey*

Hi Piers,

You don't say who will be rebuilding your engine, but I'd recommend Paul Gardner who is based just off the M6 at Scorton, Lancaster. He has enormous knowledge for Ford engines, does all his machining inhouse and just does a great job!

As regards to your lust for power, I agree with what others have said before, keep it useable for what you intend on using it for. Big hairy cams that give you 400 bhp at 7800-8200 rpm, are going to be useless for you when you want to have a nice spirited blat through the Borders/Lakes on a sunny Sunday.

I did the Caterham circuit drive experience at Oulton Park a couple of years ago, we were using I'm sure, Roadsports k powered cars with 'only' 125 bhp. Although I really enjoyed my day, and I thought I'd driven quite well, when the instructor took over and gave me my two 'hot laps', there was f*** all that overtook us. In all honesty, it felt like I'd only been using 3rd gear all day!

To sum up, your car with it's Lotus Twink will be envied as much as you envy the bigger-powered later cars. *thumbup*

PSJ,

It sounds like you want to keep the soul of the car and improve drivabilty/reliability.Sensible tweek is to get the engine back to stock power and improve drivability as said above.

I fitted a MJ on my xflow beacuse I like to tinker and built it all from a kit, sourced and made the brackets etc... it still cost me about £250 in total to complete, but it made a massive difference to the drivability and reliability (starts easily thanks to 4deg advance on turn over rather than the 12 that a Dizzy provides)... and now get about 25mpg (160 spec RK Xflow).

If you are looking for an Aldon, I think I have a low mileage one with side exit cap and coil (and rev limiter) available.

Jon

Edited by - jonboylaw on 25 May 2011 16:44:09

Edited by - jonboylaw on 25 May 2011 16:44:43

Thanks for the big input guys :)

Iv got a good contact to rebuild the engine but will check out that Paul guy also. In the mean time I have a guy who works for Malcom Wilson (Cumbria rally team) who wants to diagnose it further n see if he can help me. Alot of people who seem to be in the "know" all think that the engine is ok and it's something else causing the problem!? Lol so I'm holding back on the rebuild until he has diagnosed it tommorrow night.

Bit frustrating as I just want it away, sorted and back in the car as time is getting on. BUT if it is down to something simple then it's saved me alot of money.

Upgrading Ignition further to 3D or similar I WILL do, but just going to hang fire for now until it's been diagnosed properly later this week.

I just want to get to the bottom of it

Thanks, piers.

BOSS 😬

Piers - I've just come back from having the Megajolt set up. Bear in mind I've set a rev limit of 6500rpm the xflow now develops just shy of 140bhp with over 120ftlb torque between 4000-6000rpm.

In the words of the rolling road operator it "pulls like a train from 2500rpm" and its totally docile in traffic. I'd have thought the twin-cam on 3d could easily do more *wink*

here are pictures of the cams i have in the TC.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/251635_10150268585160931_694385930_9419198_548_n.jpg

MC 25011

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/255765_10150268586115931_694385930_9419201_3184586_n.jpg

26 E 351

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/250425_10150268587015931_694385930_9419210_8331905_n.jpg

no idea what cams they are!?

Piers.

Hi,

Great to compare, I was planning to take off the valve cover in the next couple of weeks.

I' ll let you know what I find. The cams I have were checked by Burton and they confirmed that these were the right ones for a tall block for road use.

Jack Flash

j.jackflash@hotmail.com

• Area Representative

Quoting PSJ: 
here are pictures of the cams i have in the TC.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/251635_10150268585160931_694385930_9419198_548_n.jpg

MC 25011

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/255765_10150268586115931_694385930_9419201_3184586_n.jpg

26 E 351

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/250425_10150268587015931_694385930_9419210_8331905_n.jpg

no idea what cams they are!?

Piers.

Those are the casting numbers, you need to take the cam sprockets off the end of the cams to see what numbers are stamped onto them.

The lobes are ground to shape dependent on the type of cam and as such the casting numbers are meaningless. After the cam is ground to a particular profile it will have it's identification number stamped on.

hope this helps.

Regards

Richard

I

I have been informed on the lotus elan forum these cams seem to be the "Sprint" cams.

I was told the MC 25011 is the cast number like Richard said. The 26 E 351 is the lotus cam part number.

There is also a letter "D" on them which indicates there the "D-type" cam which is the sprint camshaft.

Piers.