Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Aeroscreen mirrors for windscreen use?

AndrewGP

I am seriously considering getting the Caterham carbon aeroscreen and carbon mirrors for the summer. However, I also like driving the car with the just the windscreen on and no doors. To save me doubling up on two sets of mirrors, is there any way I can use the aeroscreen left and right side mirrors but mounted on the side of the standard windscreen?

Would I need any extra bits? And does anyone else actually do this?

• Area Representative
Once you have tried the aero you will nt want to drive round with a full screen and no doors. Aero = summer Full screen = Cold and wet, winter.

You could get the SVA mirror mounts for your door mirrors and move them to the stanchions.

Taking the mirrors off the aero and screwing them on to something else every time you want to swap might become a chore... So if you want all options covered, leave the door mirrors on the door, buy some extra side mirrors (like the ones from CBS, nice and cheap) and screw those on to some Nifty Mounts (if you can get them!) and then leave the carbon ones on the carbon aero.

Ta da!

I went Aero a few years ago *cool* and just love it, as the first winter came along I said to the wife "just off to the garage to change the aero for the full screen".

I was told not to change it 😬, so the weather gear was sold and life was good *thumbup*.

Once you change to a Aero, you will never want to go back *thumbup* *thumbup* (that is unless it rains when out for a long blat) 😬

Thanks for the replies chaps *thumbup*

I hear what you're saying about aeroscreen but even with the doors and windscreen on in the winter I'd still like the option.

Jason, what extra bits did you use to fit your mirrors to the windscreen? I like your car BTW, saw the build on PH and it looks fab!

Do you guys not find that the low pressure zone in the cockpit with screen but no doors just makes it unpleasantly difficult to breath at speed? It's fine arround town and we had a setup like Jason's for a while, but above about 50 it's progressively nastier. YMMV

Rattie

I drive mine with the screens because like you say it's nasty when you are at speed. You have to watch you don't knock the mirrors with the doors but other than that it's ok.

Jason

Edited by - Jason Fletcher on 1 Apr 2011 18:09:49