Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sump bolt stuck in K-series

PAC

I just remarked to my friend that it was nice to work on a newer Seven (I'm servicing hers), where all the bolts undo when prompted *nono* *redface*, when the last sump bolt losened then jammed solid after a quater of a turn *mad*

I've WD40'd it and it'll turn back and forth, but the force I'm putting on it can only rip out the thread or snap the bolt.

So, is there any trick I can try before I just rip it out and put an M8/helicoil in?

I'm wondering if it would be simpler to try to drill it out before I rip the bolt head off? (will it drill out OK? i.e.not too hard?)

P

Edited by - pac on 27 Feb 2011 09:14:26

The owner has gone on holiday, so I can't access the car for ten days.

A mechanic friend advised that the cap head screws will be too hard to drill out, without buying special bits, and that it is almost certain the thread will be torn out of the block with the bolt.

So I'm expecting to have to put an insert in.

Someone posted recently about a simpler solution to Helicoils, I'll try to find that.

I always find Helicoils a pain to fit.

Paul

Is it in an accessible place, so you can try heating the female thread, and then perhaps spraying the bolt thread with a freezer spray ? This stuff is surprisingly good at helping to free stuck bolts (albeit more those corroded in place, rather than thread pickup).

Once you get the bolt out, is there enough metal to drill and tap next size up ?

edit ... it's annoying when it happens on your own car, but *mad* when it isn't yours !!

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 1 Mar 2011 09:24:23

Heat was my idea also, but Mr. Mechanic advised against it due to the proximity of various 'O' rings in the oil system (it's the front N/S bolt by the oil filter)

I can't imagine it would remove the Ally from the bolt anyway.

I'll take a blowtorch with me next time JIC!

Will keep you posted *thumbup*

Cheers

Quoting CageyH: 
If these are the front sump bolts, they pass through the web in the engine, so may just need to be cleaned up a bit.

+1

Or maybe even have the thread removed with a Dremel

Cagey.. as you are so insistant *wink*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If these are the front sump bolts, they pass through the web in the engine, so may just need to be cleaned up a bit

Are you saying it may come out OK, but is a lot longer than the other bolts, hence being tight?

Blinkin' iPhone. *confused*

If it is one of the forward sump bolts, they can get clogged with dirt and crud.

Sometimes a good clean is sufficient. If not, they are usually long enough to clean the thread up, as long as there is a clean bit.

I have never found WD40 any good for loosening up bolts, however plus gas is much better.

Is it fitted into an open thread ..... so the far end of the bolt is in fresh air (outside the engine) ...... this is likely to contribute ..... as mentioned above ... the tiniest bit of grit will jam it up solid when you try and undo it !

Can you tighten it a little, then try and wash the crud off the exposed end of the thread ? Drip some PlusGas on to the upper end of the thread for a few days before you attempt to undo it again.

Once out, you may get away with cleaning up the thread with a tap, and using a new bolt ? Or, if all else fails, maybe you can open up the hole to clear the bolt, and use a longer bolt with a nyloc nut (if there is space in the area above the web) ?

Good luck !