Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyres supply - HELP

michaeljclark

I need a new tyre - currently the car is running Avon ZV3 195/45 R15 78V

Having phoned the local tyre place they didn't have any, so they phoned Avon - they've been on back order since December.

Caterham don't have any (they no longer fit them) and don't recommend fitting just 2 CR500's - they want to do all 4 (performance reasons)

But they did suggest fitting ZV1's as an alternative.

No tyre means no blatting and I don't really want to be spending £500 this month.

Are the ZV1's any good?

Mike

07 Plated RoadSport SV 150 in Red with Black nose band and stripe

Yep going to be careful - nice "touring" blats for me - no need to go crazy.

I'll get the fronts changed later this month once I've been paid - got a lot of out goings this month (house ins / tin top ins / autocom).

Odd (I thought) that Avon have let what I would have thought would be a popular tyre sit on supply constraint since December (Tyre shop has an order in for 10 - dunno what else they fit) as it basically means that anyone like me needing a tyre now basically needs to replace either 2 or all 4 tyres. I'm sure CC would love to sell me 4 CR500's for about a tonne each plus fitting, according to the parts chap I spoke to, its pretty much all they supply now - my SV should (he thought) left the factory on 500's (dunno if that's true)

Hey ho - such is life

07 Plated RoadSport SV 150 in Red with Black nose band and stripe

Michael, re tyres. I was out out & about today blatting (see mid week blat post) I would not have liked to have been on some of the wet/greasy roads with ZV3 tryes today. I put up with them for around 4k miles but they just made the car feel nervous & at times the driver also! *eek* I think you are wise to change to a softer compound tyre but as John says be a careful until you have a full set. *thumbup*

I find the Yoko 21's I now have much safer but still today at times the back went a little sideways when giving it some revs, especially near Lydd where I think some diesel may have been spilt. Steve had the same experience on the the same stretch of road.

Martin *thumbup*