Click here if you are having website access problems ×

oil cooler R400D

Pat the Plumber

took the car out today, very bracing, especially with the aero.

So, in my infinate wisdom, due to the fresh air i would struggle to get any oil temperature into the car. So i put some tin foil over the oil cooler to prevent it from cooling down to much.

The oil pressure never dropped below 40psi, so am i right to think that the oil never got too hot, as the oil would drop to the low 30's when on the track in October.

Does anybody else cover the oil cooler up in these rather inclement weather.

my R400

I have a thermostat in my oil line that opens at about 85c but it still allows circa 10% to pass below that temp so I block the cooler off at any ambient temp on the road below about 19c

do you have an oil temp sensor ? maybe a winter upgrade ? - sensor for temp, sensor for low oil pressure @ 2 bar with a fecking bright led and a thermostatic oil filter union for the cooler ?

dj

here is my Duratec R .... C7 TOP

Taffia joint AO with Al

I don't, but you've got me thinking. I agree that the thermostatic route is the way to go. Personally, I really like the Laminova, having used one for many years on my Supersport-R. I'm assuming it'll do the job on my R400D, but I've yet to work out where in the coolant pipework to install it. What do others do?

JV

I have the blue plug to fit the temp sender, but having the stack dash it gets a little confusing to which sender and cable to purchase to connect straight to the stack.

It's next on the list, when i next change the oil, but it's not long been done.

As well as the brake fluid......the list goes on

my R400

Edited by - Pat the Plumber on 3 Jan 2011 19:03:24

Hi Pat,

Glad to see your out and about again, have you considered using the OE Ford Modine oil / water version, fits behind the filter and loops into the cooling system from the back of the block to the stat housing.

Warms cold oil and cools hot oil via the cooling system.

Shout if you need hand fitting etc

cheers *wavey*

Too young to be old !

Pat

I have fitted the oil temp sender for the Stack in my R400. (Well actually Caterham did it at 1st service 😳). It fits into the blue plug in the sump. I cannot remember the exact details but the wiring is already in the loom. It wasnt a big job. Oil temp rarely climbs above about 65 degrees.

Either I am over cooling it or not driving it hard enough !

Angus

If there is an oil pressure drop through a Laminova, that would indicate it is not allowing the full potential flow of your circuit to circulate. This resistance may have an affect on your power at high RPM 😶‍🌫️

Want to rent an 18th century Farmhouse in Rural Somerset?

Edited by - Pendennis on 5 Jan 2011 15:54:37

In my experience the integral thermostat within the the oil filter takeoff plate does not work well on the wet sumped duratec. The stat starts to open at around 86C and is fully open at 96C no problem, then it stays open until the oil temp is down to 70C which is too low this . has the effect of cooling the whole engine and the water temp also drops to 70C . Again too low.

IMHO it is best to fit the take off plate without the thermostat and blank the oil cooler for road use or to suit driving conditions,

I would not fit a laminova as they restrict oil flow.

Rob

Hi everyone....can someone explain in simple terms what is going on here and why ?

I have R400D wet sump with oil cooler. No T sender on the oil.

For winter months, should I be blanking off the oil cooler ? Why ...and how ?

The car does get a good thrashing on track but only 3 or 4 times a year...and in the summer....

Thanks for explanations !

Steve Campbell

Orange R400 Duratec

Steve, gaffer tape off the air on side of the oil cooler completely when ambient 12c or below, this will allow the oil temperature to be maintained. It will be fine between 80c - 110c, your almost certainly fall into that bracket.

Take tape off when on track. Fully synth modern oils are okay to 115c, and if you have the correct viscosity temps as low as 80c would also be fine *thumbup*

Too hot, oil thins, pressure drops and you would loose power.

Too cool, oil could be too thick causing engine wear and high pressure. personally, if you get the right oil this should not be an issue *wink*

Want to rent an 18th century Farmhouse in Rural Somerset?

I have a Modine brochure (pdf) listing dimensions and some basic technical details - I will be happy to send to anyone who might be interested. I also have a MOCAL laminova brochure which lists dimensions, but it lacks the other mumbo-jumbo. *smile*

*smile* Sean