Click here if you are having website access problems ×

cross flow copper exhaust gaskets

Bob_Rich

Hi

I understand that copper exhaust gaskets are available for the crossflow engine. Are these just made from sheet copper or are they some form of cunning mix of copper and some other material.

Wondered if they could be made form a piece of sheet copper?

cheers

Bob

Hi, After going through a set of payen gaskets in a very short time especially the twin port one! I got a sheet of 1 mm copper ,traced through the shape from the old ones ,spotted the holes through,band sawed them out, used a starret cutter for the large hole (32mm i think).

The easeyest way is to screw the sheet copper to a piece of ply, mark them out with a scriber, spot the hole centres, drill the large starrett holes first, then the two mount holes,Its a lot safer when on the wood as it cant grab the drill.

Then remove from wood and cut out the profile on band saw.

when fitting use a thin smear of gasket paste and so far they have been perfect on both of my crossflow engined cars. give it a go!

I am not sure you can get it anymore but years ago we made ours out of flexible asbestos sheet about 4mm thick using punches so as not to create dust. They have now survived numerous engine rebuilds and 3 different crossflow exhaust systems and never leak. We did have to replace one last year when it got damaged during a rebuild, but for a home made solution they have lasted amazingly well. We made them originally for exactly the same reason that you folks are finding, that the big bore aftermarket ones were crap and didn't last barely a season. We did try home made copper for a while they were too solid and still leaked.