Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Harness replacement

TomB

Over winter Im planning on replacing one of seatbelt harness sets. The passenger side is the original (14 years old) 4 point, 2 inch strap diameter, quick release, which I intend swopping with the newer (FIA expiry 2005) driver side. The drivers side is a 3 inch wide QR, with the crotch strap. I will then replace the driver side. I want a QR red buckle, with three inch straps as these will spread loads in a shunt and hold me more securely.

Caterham sell this 4 point here

With a crotch strap, does this confer the same safety as this 6 point here

What are the metal hoops on the waist straps, and how do they relate to the other two straps (which I presume represent each side of the crotch strap). Is this overkill for road use? Id appreciate any hints & tips for this safety critical equipment.

The metal hoops on the waist straps are how the crotch straps attach. The "normal" 5-point (with only one crotch strap attachment) plugs into the bottom of the buckle. With the caterham system, the crotch straps come between your legs and through the hoop (pulling the crotch strap away from your tackle and around the upper part of your leg) and then the hoops hook over the end of the shoulder straps, which you then plug in.

A bit of a faff, but perfectly easy once you've got the crotch straps the right length. No good if there's more than one driver though, as the adjusters sit under the seat. If you've got leather seats, you'll need to butcher the base too. With tillets, they come through the existing hole.

As to safety, well I think the 6 point design is better than the 5 point, for the reason above. Compared to a 4 point, it stops you submarining. But the reality is that unless the waist strap is TIGHT, then neither is that good. With the waist strap properly adjusted 6 point will always be better, but how much is somewhat untested.

Jez

My two-pennyworth:

I have the 5-points, for both driver and passenger, with leather seats. I find them perfectly comfortable, even on long journeys. The key is to have the lap belts tight. No butchery of the seats, and relatively quick to do and undo. Convenience in use becomes a real bugbear if you are using the car a lot, getting in and out.

The 6-point is really designed for racing, and whilst it could be considered marginally 'safer', for me the reduction in convenience was the reason I didnt consider it.

Angus

quote "The 6-point is really designed for racing, and whilst it could be considered marginally 'safer', for me the reduction in convenience was the reason I didnt consider it."

Yep, that was just how I reasoned it too *thumbup*

Tom, I have the CC four point with a crutch strap from Luke. Luke can supply a T shaped plug for the crutch strap which I felt was more comfortable than the CC crutch strap. For me, it was the best combo of safety, convenience and comfort. I use the crutch strap every time, no hassle. Have a read at this here. Youre welcome to take a look at my setup if you wish before you buy.

Edited by - naddy on 16 Oct 2010 23:45:10

• Area Representative

Tom

When I was looking at replacing my seatbelts I found the latest Caterham offerings were stiff to adjust and expensive. I opted for Sabelt and replaced both almost for the price of one Caterham branded belt and I've found them good to use.

Worth considering - you can view mine at next LADS meet as well 😬 *eek*

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional