Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting trigger wheel for 3d ignition on xflow

Graham Sewell

The company that fitted my MegaJolt system have taken what seems to be an unorthodox method for fixing the trigger wheel.

They say that because

- the standard pully is larger than the wheel that they cannot weld it in place.

- the wheel has about 10mm of spacers (25mm diameter) behind it that they cannot dowel it

So they have just located it on the main crankshaft (longer) bolt and tightened it up to the normal torque and say that this will hold perfectly well unless I do something silly like slacken the bolt - in which case the location is fairly easy to replicate.

So, dear POBC, are they correct or should I be paranoid and see if there is a better way to hold this all together? The engineer in me would say that a larger precision made spacer (diamter and thickness) could be used and doweled through, but I have no idea how I would get one made (other than ask someone with a lathe).

Cheers,

Graham

------

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

I went the welding route but used the Burton smaller steel crank pully. Worked a treat for me. I am of the same opinnion as you in that I would feel more comfortable with it doweled in place, just for piece of mind. Having said this, the mass of the wheel in fairly low and should be well ballanced so I would not expect too much inertia on the TR.

Jonathan

=========================

My Flickr Gallery

92 Supersprint, Ford LSD LA, RK AX Crossflow. Stealth model (Matt Black and Ali), rebuild completed.