Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wing Stays

Windy Corner

Sitting bored in a french hotel room, my mind has started wandering over things to do over the winter...........

Currently have 195x45xR15 CR500's, look awfully close to the cycle wing

Don't know what stays I have, I was assuming 15" / 16" ones but then never safe to assume.

Question is :-

Are the 15"/16" the "biggest" stays in terms of what you can fit underneath them or are the 13"/14" stays larger ?? I assume the 13" race stays are the smallest

Same sort of question for the cycle wings, which one will accomodate the larger wheel ??

Vague thoughts of bailing out of 15" and going to 14" as my focus is moving towards road touring.

TIA

Rik

Roadsport SV 1.6 Sigma 150

in Viper Blue here

Ric

I think tyres that are close the the cycle wings look smokey cool *smokin* So much that I cut the ones down on the car I built a couple of years ago.

But if you do want some 14" wheels then I'll have a brand new set of Minilites with whatever tyres CC fit coming with my new kit in a month or so. Yours for 400 quid but I don't think they will drive as well as 13" and won't look as well as your 15"

France is so dear for a beer init!

Jason

Thanks both

Ian, tyres I was looking at are A021r's in 185x60R14 so would be available, probably from Polleys, I know they won't be as good as CR500's, but they should be okay as an all rounder

Jason, Thanks for the offer, give me a shout when your kit arrives, would certainly like to try one underneath the current wings

The other reason for the thoughts are apart from slightly higher ride height (to offset lowered floors), better cruising engine revs (albeit slightly), are that I just don't think my car looks that good with anthracite wheels, much better with silver ones. I even toyed / am toying with getting the anthracites sprayed silver *eek*

Sorry, I'll get my coat now.............

Rik

in Viper Blue here

I just don't think my car looks that good with anthracite wheels, much better with silver ones. I even toyed / am toying with getting the anthracites sprayed silver

Sorry, I'll get my coat now.............

Ric

I was going to offer to get your coat for you but after looking at your photos I can see where you are coming from. I think the anthracite wheels only suit black packed cars. Do you prefer the silver look to black pack? What size are the silver minilites in the pics?

jason

Jason,

Big shiny headlights, windscreen surround, shiny wing protectors are the way to go ....... 😬 Goes with the nice shiny paint colour *smile*

Those are 13", which I still have with 185x60R13's on, looks much better but lowers the car too much. I have raised the rear to raise it back up again, but now the wheels look lost in the rear wheelarches

If I could get 14's on under the existing arches, that would be my preferred option, I would then keep the 15's in case I ever sold it, hence my original question..........

Rik

in Viper Blue here

Back in Blighty now

Thanks Piers, I had done the same and guessed that they were all like that.

Jason, let me know when, but you have perhaps answered my original question, are the 13"/14" Stays "bigger" than the 15"/16" ???

Logic tells me that the 14" wheel and tyre combo is bigger than the CR500, but the 13" combo should be smaller...................

Rik

in Viper Blue here