Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VX Engine Change

Miltec

Been thinking alot about this, would like more power as we all do... well about 150 -160 HP

Have been looking at changing the old C16nz2 for a nice new (ish) z16xer. as I have been informed that this is much more tunable than the 2.0 Ecotec, only thing that worries me is the mounting, does anyone know if the mount points on the block are the same or even nearly?

VX 1600 Live Axle

T440LKK

Sorry, I can't directly help you with your question... but I thought I'd chime in to say that your car is (probably) eligable for Classic Grad racing, and the grid size in our class has doubled in 3 years. Prices of the VX 8v engined cars are very firm and I know of a couple of people who are looking to buy a car like this. If you aren't overly 'attached' to the car, you may consider the simple option of selling it as it is and buying a more powerful car!

Q41 ACF Classic Grad #98

I've been informed that the C16NZ2 old 8v has a 2ltr block? so my thinking is the mount points would need to be changed? *confused*

As for selling the car, currently classics are selling for £8000 ish, to get the power I'm looking for, I think I'd have to spend alot more than that? 😔 where as I can pick up the Engine for £500 ish and ECU for another £500 most of the rest should be a swap over from the old engine. *confused*

VX 1600 Live Axle

T440LKK

Edited by - Miltec on 1 Sep 2010 17:45:49

Milltec,

if you've got an ITAL live axle then be very careful fitting a 2.0Vx motor.

You are hightly likely to shred the CWP.

The only person that I know who went this route also changed the rear axle to a Ford type (and then the front hubs to ensure same pcd on all four corners).

Dave

The axle has been upgraded by Mark at Jigsaw with err (can't remember) but he is running a Le Mans GT6 with the same upgrade at 200+ bhp, so shouldn't be a problem.

The Z16xer is a 1.6 and alot smaller and lighter than the C16NZ2 that in standard form puts out 115 - 120 HP but been informed that with after market ECU and a bit of tweeking 150 should be about right?

VX 1600 Live Axle

T440LKK

The standard engine management is an MBE 956 2D ignition box. The Ignition advance is fixed, which is why the 1600vx isn't happy on light/trailing throttle!

EDIT: To add- Brunel's info is for the astra/nova gte application of the engine. The Classic's ignition system is bespoke (and has rather limited tuning potential)

Q41 ACF Classic Grad #98

Edited by - James_Russell on 7 Sep 2010 18:55:14