Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Eratic oil pressure readings (1.6 K)

Chris71

Hi,

The oil pressure readings on my 1.6 Supersport (ex Roadsport A) are a bit eratic. Normally it reads a little over 4 bar under load and a little over 2 when idling.

However, occasionally it'll drop right down - either for a split second or sometimes a couple of minutes - before returning back to the normal level for the conditions. The engine runs okay and there are no signs of significant oil loss (the dry sump system coughs up a tiny bit into the catch tank, but we're talking millilitres since the last oil change) so I assume it's a sensor or wiring fault.

The only thing is sometimes it drops right off the dial as you'd expect from a dodgy connection, but sometimes it drops very low but still reads (<1 bar), which is a bit more alarming. Is it possibly a very high resistance on a poor connection with some voltage still getting through?

• Area Representative

Exactly the same with TC's SLR. Changed sender and it was fine until it happened again. Upgraded to a MOPG and should be no repetition at all I hope!

-----

Back in a BEC! - but done alright in Class 1...

Cheers gents.

So is it likely to be the sender itself as opposed to the wiring?

It's due for an oil change before too long, so I presume that'd be a good time to pop a new sender in? (I take it this isn't something you want to do with however-many litres of oil in there!)

Chris, don't bother changing the (expensive) sender , it will fail again ... and again ... and again.

change to a mechanical pressure gauge, visit the FAQ, the list of parts to buy from ThinkAutomotive is there.

If i remebmer correctly it cost me around 50 pounds and is very easy to do *wavey*

Think I am on my 6th Oil pressure sender for my 2003 K series 1.8 Xpower. 42,000 miles. Cured it once and for all time by fitting the new sender remotely about 18 months ago. It is the vibration which damages them , apparantly the oil finds its way into the electrical part and this causes failure. I bought an oil pipe ( similar looking to the stainless hoses to the front brakes) and an adapter from the oil filter mounting and fitted the sender in a simple clip to the clamp bolts holding the tube supporting the headlamps.Simple wire from there to original connector by filter. Thus the sender is mounted just under the back edge of the top of the nose cone 18" straight above its original position next to the hose to top of radiator,thus warm and dry and vibration free. Pressure is still like a brand new sender normally 4 to 5 Bar hot and running and 2 bar at tickover. ( They all seem to read very high brand new and slowly drop back with use) Interestingly in 2005 on the St Moritz trip I had no oil pressure on the Grimsel Pass all the way home with occasional weak attempts at 2 bar and from Reims to home the water temperature went into the black beyond 120C. So with no oil and water !! I rushed to Caterham from the ferry just before they closed on the way home to Essex and the next day fitted new senders and all was back to normal.

Had the same problem on my 1.6 K series with oil senders, seems that about 5000 to 7000 miles is their limit which is for most way outside Caterhams warrantly period as average car does about 3/4000 miles per year max . Easy mod and keeps the same instrument on dash. Quality does not seem to be Caerbonts forte on this item !!