Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyre condition - ok to use or throw away ?

jradley

Hi,

I don't know much about evaluating the condition of tyres, so thought I'd ask the POBC...

The CR500's on the rear of my car were getting a bit low, so I thought I'd finish them off at the handling day at Dunsfold.

They finished the day with more tread on them than I expected but looking a bit haggered. I have no intention of using them on the road again, but thought they may do another track day. However, I picked up a nail which will need repairing before use again and I'm not sure if it's worth the cost of repair given their overall condition.

It's hard to see in photos I know, but here is the nail, which also shows some signs of it beginning to perish a bit. This shows how they look a bit rough around the edges and this shows the surface condition, which has got score lines across and along in places.

If I got the nail removed and repaired would these be ok for some more track time or should I just bin them ?

Cheers,

John

Good looking tyres those. Personally I would continue to use them, but that's your call.

Speak to your tyre repairer, to ask their view of whether or not it can be repaired and if it will be suitable for hard use afterwards.

I would have thought that it would be extremely unlikely to let go, the nail isn't in the side wall.

However, usual caveats apply etc and just IMHO

Matt

My biggest concern was the way the rubber appears to be perishing rather than the nail. Also where stone chips have been embedded into the tyre I've pulled them out with pliers, but can't be sure how deep they had gone in.

I will ask how much a repair is and see what they say.

Cheers,

John

Each to their own.

The nail is going to need a plug. That close to the sidewall - I wouldn't risk it for road or track.

The rubber isn't perishing; it does that when they have been through a good heat cycle (i.e. you have been using them properly - nicely done *tongue* *thumbup*) My 888s showed similar symptoms after Grubbster's last track day at Castle Combe. I really wouldn't worry about that - but I, in my minority of one, would about the nail.

Nah, those tyres are completely done. I wouldn't drive around the paddock on them. Rather than paying the tyre fitter £2.50 per tyre for disposal, I'll offer to take them off your hands totally free of charge 😬

As others have said, the rubber isn't perishing, that's perfectly normal "scrub" from a tyre that's been working properly. Have a look at any racing car's slick, and you'll see balls of rubber at the edges...and those guys will be going much faster than a 7.

Mark where the "nail" is with chalk or similar, then pull it out if you can. It's maybe not very long at all, and you'll be fine. If it is long, get to a tyre fitter as you need the tyre off for a look inside. If it has come through, and the hole isn't much more than a pin-hole, you can fix it so long as it hasn't damaged the structural make-up of the tyre, like there is wire or clothy stuff poking through. Any decent tyre fitter will be able to advise.

Definitely DO NOT be throwing them out. Even if you end up scrapping that one, keep the rest for hooning at your next trackday.

Willie