Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Windscreen removal

Macchiman

Being a novice when it comes to removing bits, I thought that I'd get some advice before diving in........

I want to remove the windscreen so that I can replace the scuttle rubber seal. Do the bolts holding the stanchions to the body have captive nuts, or do I have to remove the inner trim to get a spanner on them? 1998 1.6

Peter

• Area Representative

Not captivated - you need to remove inner "knee" trims - normally self tapping screws.

Look out for wires for heated screen. You access them from under the dash. They have spade connectors, but these are too big to push through the grommets in the scuttle - you will have to cut the wire and attach a new spade connector when you re-install.

Best to put a cloth on the bonnet so that you can lay windscreen on there whilst you mess with the wires.

A bit of silicon lubricant or washing up liquid will help putting the new rubber trim in.

Good luck.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

you will have to cut the wire and attach a new spade connector when you re-install

Not in my experience. They are a squeeze to get through the grommets but they will go. Otherwise everytime you swap aero to screen you'd get shorter and shorter wires *eek*.

Other than that agree with the above. Some knee trims are pop riveted in place in which case you would need to drill out the rivets with a 4mm drill.

Steve.

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear who recommends

Puddle Pet Care

I think Paul meant to relocate the connecter to outside the scuttle. This is what I've done, pretty simple.

Peter, if you do remove the knee trim panels, get hold of the captive nut retaining channels from CC to replace the original retaining channels. This will eliminate the need to remove the knee trim each time, and makes swapping from windscreen to aero a quick and simple job.

Fingers crossed you have screws and not rivets on the knee trim panels...

John

myothercarsa2cv

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 😬

Talloulah '08 1.6K Classic

When I switched to an aero, as well as using the captive nut retaining channels, I replaced the spade connectors with connectors similar to these. Female ends under scuttle, male ends attached to windscreen. They slide easily through the scuttle grommets and make switching back to the full screen a 10 minute job. (Or they would if I ever felt the need to change back - it's not happened yet)

get hold of the captive nut retaining channels from CC to replace the original retaining channels
If your car is anything like mine, the current channels will be corroded to hell & need replaced anyway. Only a 100% sealed scuttle will prevent water ingress.

Use a 1/4" chisel on the heads of the rivets & prise up a side, then knock 'em off. Carefully done, it's much faster & easier than drilling them out.

Alex McDonald

Loud, louder, loudest... 😬