Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Toe/Camber

Gary Stone

My nearside front tyre is worn 2mm more on the inside edge compared to the outer edge. Does any one know how many turns on the toe adjustment I might need to correct this or have I got to think about camber to?

Superlight R'66 GMS 'Flying Very Low'...

A bit of both. Negative camber on its own isn't too bad but when you then apply toe out it can quite quickly kill tyres (as I found out). In my case I had ITRO 0.6 degrees toe out and -2.5 degrees camber on my front left. I couldn't tell you how many rotations of the TRE make a degree but each rotation of my top ball joint worked out to ~0.2 degrees camber. If you change the camber you'll also need to adjust the toe.

Best to get it on an accurate machine and see what it's set to at the moment *thumbup*

Simon

niknak.org

• 11 months later...
For track use go for parrallel tracking and anywhere between 2.25 and 2.75 deg (see what feels best), for road use maybe go slightly toe in to help stability (less darty) and a max of 2 deg neg camber. I've always set my tracking up with a straight edge and felt tip pen marks on the floor and camber with a cheap n chearful "Sealey" camber guage (car has to be on a dead level surface). When checked using "proper" lazer alighnment gear it turned out to be surprisingly accurate....no need to spend a fortune with a set up merchant. Make sure you set the camber first and then the tracking as the former affects the latter.