Click here if you are having website access problems ×

FOAM BAFFLE

Tricky Dicky 40

I have decided to remove the Foam Baffle from my 1.8 "K" series. I wondered if anybody knew of a pattern for the suggested extra holes in the alluminium plate, I have had info on drilling holes arround the oil pick-up but size and position suggestions would be helpful.- Thanks in advance. *confused*

I'm not sure you should be drilling any holes in the aluminium plate...

Drop the oil from the engine, drop the sump - don't forget the capheads at the back - and put to one side. The gasket will stay on the block as it's tucked behind the baffle plate. Whip off the baffle plate and oil pickup - the latter will wiggle out once the screws are removed - and bin the foam. The gasket is now free! You'll see quite clearly where the gasket is clamped between the sump and the block. You'll also see what looks like an excess bit of gasket on the inside - this is what's referred to as the shelf. You can drill a couple of holes (not too close to the edge!), I've also heard of a few who have made a few holes. One brave chap I spoke to on Monday removed the whole bit!

You can refit it all now, making sure it's all nice and clean and free of grime. Et voila!

ETA you can also bash some dents in the oil pickup to increase it's picking up ability!

EATA here's the picture!

Edited by - myothercarsa2cv on 7 Apr 2010 15:03:02

Edited by - myothercarsa2cv on 7 Apr 2010 15:05:49

Pages 12 13 and 14 of Aprils Low flying will put the cat amongst the pigeons methinks. *eek* It amazes me that folk still refit this Gunk and more still that a Management Team member endorses it. *confused* But hey what would I know I've only been driving and servicing Ks for 14years. ☹️ ☹️

The ledge on the gasket is supposed to act as a horizontal baffle during surge condtions.. BUT.. because the engine is at an angle and the oil throw from the crank is to that lee side of the engine, oil accumulates above the gasket and starves the sump of oil especially when taking right handers.

Oily (or not as the case might be)

It is good to see Technical articles in LF especially ones well documented and backed up with excellent photographs I salute the Author It's an excellent 3 pages Pity about the subject especially with all the relevant discussions on here over the years But then again sometimes Authors who submit excellent articles may not subscribe to BC and may just be unaware of the general knowledge on the subject. If only other folk who have some Technical knowledge could go to the same excellent effort as this contribution the Club would be so much better off. It obviously took a lot of time and effort to do Should make some of our Techie guys feel ashamed. *wink*

Irrotional

I don't think it is telling you to refit, just showing you how, should you so desire. As it's a Caterham service item whatever the rest of us think, some people will want to refit the foam.

R287 Mobile Jaffa Cake- It's black at both ends with a smashing orangey bit in the middle here

I would like to thank you all for imput on my original request. I have just recieved LF and read the article which was quite oppertune!!, anyway I have just finnished rebuilding the bottom half of the engine and decided to OMIT the baffle and drilled holes in the ledge on the bottom sump gasket. Studying that area I decided to follow a logical pattern and I suppose only time will tell. I thank all contributors once again. - John. *confused* *wavey*