Click here if you are having website access problems ×

FIA Approved Harnesses & the IVA.

CaterBram

Well i've got to say it all started with a trip to Tesco's, Tesco's I hear you sigh, yup and the magazine rack while avoiding SWMBO with the shopping.

Now I don't often buy it but do sometimes read bit's whilst hiding by the Magazine rack, (in hushed tone - Kit Kar Magazine), now don't shout at me as there is sometimes something of interest.

In this months there is an article on a company called Prima Motorsport. It seems that as a manufacturer of FIA approved harnesses under the Titon brand thay have challenged VOSA on the basis that the FIA approval standard actually exceeds the British standard specification and have gained acceptance by VOSA.

So FIA Approved Harnesses are now acceptable in cars submitted for IVA and this has been included in the recently revised IVA manual (Feb 2010). Providing of course that the Harnesses is in date. (which if a car is submitted for IVA they would probably be new anyway)

So now FIA Approved Harnesses are OK for the IVA surley it follows that they are acceptable at MOT time, so we can all breath easier when deciding not to swap the belts over.

But on the downside, now that they are acceptable when in date does this mean that your friendly MOT inspector is actually going to check if the Harness is actually in date. Ummm another can of worms opened *wink*

Q469 WET, 1990 1690 Xflow Long Cockpit in Ali except for the red bits.

We are doing Yorkshire 3 Peaks in aid of Rotherham Hospice

I believe that the rules are that you should be able to put the seat belt one-handed, so technically it's a fail with a 4-point harness. *rolleyes*

That said my car has never failed its MOT for the last 18 years because of the 4-point harness *wink*

Jonathan

penn7's pesky xflow

If I am sitting in the back of some ones car I am lucky if I can put the seat belt on with two hands and some help from the missus *redface* these days.

The harness is a breeze by comparison

Edited by - tbird on 2 Apr 2010 22:39:42

• 5 months later...

Doing some searching and found this thread, so apologies for resurrecting an old one.

My Sigma 150 has just been through its first MOT, big sticking point was harnesses. Tester wasn't happy that my Willans 3" 4 point harness did not have a BS mark, Kitemark or E mark on them at all.

I mentioned that the FIA standard was in excess of the standard required, but the current MOT manual does not say this and there would seem to be no official VOSA amendment that covers this. I had heard the same, that Primo had successfully challenged it, but can find no 3rd party corroboration of this.

In the end he passed them, but only as they were in date ??? which I thought were for race purposes only ??

But I would like to know the VOSA reference if anyone has it.

I know I could probably have found a more caterham friendly MOT centre and it probably wouldn't have been as issue, but this was convenient.

TIA

Rik

Roadsport SV 1.6 Sigma 150

in Viper Blue here

The latest version of the IVA manual is here

Page 214 of 293, Section 31 Seat Belts, Note 1

Note 1: A British Standard BS3254 Part 1 1988 or evidence of FIA 8853-98 approval for a harness belt is acceptable

So there you are........ the important bit is the OR

Q469 WET, 1990 1690 Xflow Long Cockpit in Ali except for the red bits. .CaterBram on Facebook

When I went for SVA with my Willans 6 pointers I simply removed the crutch strap thus making them 4 pointers as the lower mouting points were possible a point for question / failure on a technicallity hence if it's not there they can't test it

Went through with no worries they were keen to check the number of visible threads showing where the top bolts protrude through the top chassis rail behind the driver seem to remember 'His worship' the SVA tester telling me there had to be a minimum of 4 full threads showing.

Too young to be old !