Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Daytime Running Lights

Mick Day

Many will have seen this option on late Audis & Porsches; personally I think they detract not only from the looks of the vehicle but are also a distraction that will not lead to greater safety.

Back in 1987 we had dim-dip headlights intended to illuminate when side lights were selected, however the EU prosecuted the UK for having a contrary lighting regulation & the regulation was abandoned.

So how do you think a Se7en will look with these lights?

How about these here?

Edited by - mick day on 1 Apr 2010 17:49:05

From January 2011 all new passenger and light commercial vehicles will have to have Daytime Running Lamps fitted.

I guess this applies to Caterhams, so we'll find out what they look like on a Caterham in 9 months.

Not sure where you would put the line of LEDs without it looking pretty silly.

Think they will just stick an LCD where the sidelight bulb is and wire it to come on with the ignition.

I think little cars are harder to see so normally leave my headlights on ... like the bright orange isn't enough *cool*

==================================

R400SV in orange - so far unmodified!

"The ECE R87 had harmonized the installation instructions for daylight running lamps across Europe in 1995. According to section 6.19.4 DRLs shall be adjusted in the front not lower than 250 mm and not higher than 1500 mm. Minimum distance between the two DRL is 600 mm and the maximum distance to the outer frame is 400 mm. DRLs conforming to R87 must be dimmed when the low-beam headlights are activated. The certification of LED ribbon lights for retrofit kits has made installation easier as matching vents in the front spoiler can be found at most car models. In Europe only LED ribbon lights matching R87 specifications will be accepted in the regular safety inspections."

So the sensible idea for Se7ens using a higher power LED in the sidelight position won't be allowed. So where to stick the ribbon? On the leading edge of the front wings? Might upset the SVA inspector a bit. The real sensible option of course would be to allow dipped headlights instead of dedicated DRL's: or is that using too much common sense?