Click here if you are having website access problems ×

15's for roadtrip

soworththewait

Hi,

Am planning a trip to Italy and France in the summer with some friends going to incorperate some site seeing along with some much needed driving to some of Europes best roads inc the Stelvio. I know lots of you have pobably done thes kind of trips. Currently I am running 13s CR500s on a 1.6k. I have been told some of the gradients are pretty intense an wondering if I may have a problem with ground clearance, some experienced views required.

I have alot of prep for myself before going, apart from extinguisher, change headlight lenses, triangles and hi vis etc, is there any other recommendations for items, things that I should do to the car?

A service in the next few weeks and another shortly before the trip.

Steve

Worth checking the rolling diameter of the 15's are greater than the 13s, as with different profile tyres there may not be much difference (I changed from 14" minitors with ZV3's to 15" 10-spoke with CR500's and the clearance reduced)

Other things to take are:

Spare Clutch Cable

Spare Throttle Cable

French Motorway transponder here

Oh, and a Tour Support Truck 😬

Ian - Slightly Vider SVelte SuperVeloce model 😬 - Joint AR for North Kent - Area details and calendar here

If you go from the 13" CR500 package to the 15" CR500 package you gain 17mm in ground clearance (i.e. nominal radius). We're looking at getting a set of the 13" as a track set to complement the 15" that come with the R300.

Martyn

R300GRR SV trapped in Dartford until IVA retest!!!

At the moment the plan is early to mid August, we plan on doing a top gear style challenge with a few on public transport and a selection of cars and bikes. Couple of days down due to bike riders, a night in pisa, then a few days of exploring branching out from maybe genoa before a epic 3 or 4 day cruise back. Something we have been meaning to do for a while. I just need to make sure the car is ready for such a trip as well as myself.

why don't you use a 185/60 13 tyre or a 185/70 13" if you need ground clearance

My seven comes with 15" and when I decided to buy a 13" set

Many club members told me : " you will never come back to 15" and the right place for 15" is on the garage shelves"

It made me smile but they were right

I sold them since ( as they falled from the shelves ...) *wavey*

eric

You'll notice that the Rim Choice for the 205 is 6.5"-8.5". 6" would be outside that range. Wide tyres on narrow rims are awful.

I'd say either go 15" CR500 or change tyre manufacturer, there are quite a few that people have had success with on here.

Martyn

R300GRR happy in Dartford until the weekend after passing IVA retest!!!

I have 14" 185 x 60 toyo 888's, I have travelled extensively in France Italy and switzerland and never had any ground clearance issues, even on a half resurfaced St Bernard pass which was more like the Khyber pass when I did it. you will LOVE the Alps and Italy, endless fantastic roads *thumbup*

Trotsky N7 HPC

I recently put 185/65/14 on road wheels which has raised the height to a more acceptable level for general use IMO.

Has advantages for touring of raised gearing and better economy if that matters to you.

Fitted Uniroyal Rain Expert which apparantly are based on a racimg wet and seem decent for everyday use and I'm hoping OK for wet TDs too.