Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Slicks...

Neophyte

Fellow blat chatters *smile* I wonder if I might ask for some advise/guidance possibly...

Having owned my 7 for nearly 2 years I think it is about time I give the above a try. BTW my 7 is a K series R400 (with a dry sump) so I don't think I am doing anything inappropriate.

However I am a bit out of my depth in terms of what to get (eg manufacturer and compound) and where to get them from.

In the past I have heard about Sticky-slicks.co.uk although I then hear people going down this type of route and being dissappointed. I also recall (although can't remember where from *redface*) mention of used formula BMW slicks (but have no idea where one might get these!)

So can anyone spare five minutes to share a few pointers both with regards to where to get them, what to get and of course using them for the first time...

Any help would be much appreciated 😶‍🌫️ as the above makes clear I have a bit of knowledge, often more risky than complete ignorance!...

Joachim Westermann highly recommends Formula BMW and Renault slicks (one type front and the other rear - although I can't remember which) and sells them used. Shoot him an email or call him and he will talk you through it at length.

Just got a set of used Michelin radial slicks form Colin at Sticky Slicks

Great value at £60

Cant say anymore till i have blasted them round Cadwell in april, but the way i see it if they last 2 track days i cant go wrong

Or you could go for some medium/hard compound Kumho's

For Kumho's call Mel on 07811 269500, top guy and great prices

Be aware thar super soft compounds out of stock for a while ( see sprint championship posts )

Mad Hatter Racing - Feel The Duralight R Torque 😬 Carl *thumbup*

Joachim Westermann highly recommends Formula BMW and Renault slicks

I will give him a call, thanks for the tip *biggrin*

Just got a set of used Michelin radial slicks form Colin at Sticky Slicks

Great value at £60... Or you could go for some medium/hard compound Kumho's

For Kumho's...

Very interesting, I currently used medium compound V70's and have been very impressed, but wanted to give slicks a go. I will talk to Colin, thanks for the help *biggrin*

Personally I swear by Avon slicks but they are not cheap ! I buy them from BMTR

Interesting thanks *biggrin* I just had a quick look and agree they aren't what I would call cheap! But you did make that very clear in your post.

As you are buying them brand new what compound do you opt for?

Also when you first used them did you find there was a big learning curve? Getting heat into them correctly (evenly) I mean for example. Any advise/tips?

When I start from the pits (with medium Kumho's) I try to work the front mostly for the first couple of laps so they get a head start vs the rears; which are a lot easier to get up to temp *rolleyes* with a slightly heavy right foot...

Thanks again *smile*

Hello mate 😬 For a moment there I was quite alarmed, thinking what have I done that deserves some abuse *eek* Then I realised it was you

I will be speaking to sticky slick later today... I'll let you know the outcome of course *smokin*

I raced at combe on pretty knackered used mich slicks and got a best of 1min 11.7

my fellow competitor was on mich slicks and would get circa consistant 1min 12.4 behind me.

He then changed to a brand new set of avon slicks and by his own admission went quicker more easily and got 1min 11.2.

if your racing and have a fat wallet and a mantle piece needing a cup - buy £650 worth of new slicks ..........

if your on a trackday and are hooing use knackered slicks @ £80 per set and have fun, but dont be disapointed if the chap on new avon slicks comes past you...

or it could just be that he is a better driver *tongue* 😳 *wink*

here is my Duratec R .... C7 TOP

Taffia AO

Hi Neo,

I have a pair of Avon ACB0 slicks in 7-21-13.

They are an A37 - medium compound as usually used on Caterhams for racing.

Both are new and unfitted.

Normally about £150 new, but I'm trying to clear down my 'might use sometime' piles..

£150 for the pair?

Cheers - Simon

or it could just be that he is a better driver

I have little doubt this is the case with most (almost all *redface*) other drivers. My aim is not lap times, but size of smile 😬

So I agree the used slicks route is the way forward... *smile*

Trying to work my way through the minefield of wheel sizes/offsets + slick sizes and clearances on my car... It is not entirely straight forward *confused* although I do lack cognitive function!

My current thinking is 6.5" front and 8.5" rear (like MB R500 wheels) which I think will fit my car in terms of clearance without having to modify anything (cycle wings/arches I mean). The advantage being these slightly larger widths (vs 6" & 8" I have currently) gives a greater choice of slicks eg Michelin 23/57/13 is meant to go onto a rim of atleast 8.5" I think.

Dave what size wheels/slicks do you run on your car if you dont mind me asking? I see you use CXRs, they look nice BTW *smile*

Thanks for your help Sir 😶‍🌫️

Hi Neo, I have a pair of Avon ACB0 slicks in 7-21-13...

Thanks Simon, that is a kind offer; however I think I am right in that they are crossply, not radial. I am currently set up for radial (3 degree negative camber on the front for example) so wasn't thinking of going down the crossply avenue at this stage atleast. Also with it being a pair, not a set it may mean finding something for the other axle is a bit tricky...

None the less thanks again for the offer old bean *smile* but on this occassion I will (politely hopefully!) decline.

Edited by - Neophyte on 3 Mar 2010 16:13:57

Edited by - Neophyte on 3 Mar 2010 16:14:32

I used the 23/57 slicks on the rear but they can rub on suspension and chassis on some cars - depending on setup and wheel offsets etc.

If the size of the smile if the important thing then I would go for the slick size down from the 23/57 ( sorry I cant recall what it was)

the beauty is that even a knackered old second hand slick like the michelins dont melt and go off after 3 laps and you dont wear out expensive road tyres like cr's or R888's

here is my Duratec R .... C7 TOP

Taffia AO

I used the 23/57 slicks on the rear...

Thanks Dave, I think (having spent ages researching & measuring) I will be fine to use those. But appreciate the warning that it may cause issues, better to safe than sorry they say...

Thanks again for the input, all very helpful Sir

I agree with Dave. I have a set of ex formula Renault slicks bought from Sticky Slicks (£10 each last year). Considering they were already used, I have completed 8 races and 4 trackdays on them, and they still grip well and have plenty of meat on them. I have no doubt that new slicks would be better, but the cost of a new set would equal a couple of race meetings.

David Smitheram, Wiltshire (South) AR, 07718 368173.

1400 supersport race car

Another Avon fan *wink*

If budget allows even with trackdays, start with the very best and work back

Avons are available as part worn

8.2 / 22.0 - 13 & 7.0 / 20 - 13

slight rub on the watts linkage

As crossplys you will need to adjust set-up to suit

They'll make you smile

I just need them to keep-up *wink*

A10ROX now garaged with D10ROX (Red GT3)!

So I think part used is the way to go for me, atleast to start with... I can feel one of those slippery slopes looming though *eek*

A10ROX; used Avons... Interesting, that is not something I had heard before, can you cast some more light on that one possibly? As to needing slicks to keep up, you and me both Sir...

Chatting with my Father this evening over dinner I have almost convinced myself and him that I need a set of MB R500 wheels (although considering wider than the standard 6.5"/8.5") SWMBO and the savings account are not exactly smiling at that idea *rolleyes* I commented that late last year I was about to get some Dymags (before they went belly up) and MB's are 'cheap' in comparison, for some reason that didn't seem to help me in persuading her I gave up shortly after that; a tactical retreat I think it is called...

Thanks all for the input Gentlemen, much appreciated and cogitated 😶‍🌫️

*wavey*Neophyte, i've raced on new and used slicks and its as dave says, the difference is very clear, £60 slicks might last a part day and a new set would last about 3-4 times longer if looked after and then worth about £60 so all in all the difference between buying 1 new set and 4 used sets is about double the outlay, but they are more consistent if you're setting up a car and the grip is superior and if you;re hunting lap times then new has to be the way to go.

I wouldn't touch crossply....I looked into it all back last year and radials are the way to go.....if you do want a set of the michelins then I have a decent set that I bought from Dave J back in Nov that he bought and didn't use and I then proceeded not to use, so they're sitting there, i'm not going to use them as I'm racing on Dunlop's so i'd be open to a deal at £60 if you wanted them, see the for sale section

C7 YUM

Edited by - taffyracer on 3 Mar 2010 23:02:14

...if you do want a set of the michelins then I have a decent set...

Thanks Sir, I am still trying to work out what to do (what will fit basically) so can I work my way through that little conundrum and then if that is the way to go come back to you? If someone snaps them up before then my tough luck...

Thanks again for the offer and very interesting input 😶‍🌫️

Please be advised that Avon cross-plys are much lighter than the radials. (My father has Avon radials on his OMS, I have cross-plys on my Caterham).

Taffy-racer - Why do you say don't touch cross-plys?

Just curious.

Rob

Ring the guys at either Avon or BMTR re: used tyres

You just need to find which series they are made for, sometime BMTR have used sets

"I fitted new fronts and relied on some 'used' rears I had at Anglesey in October and the balance was ... interesting ... It swapped ends at 100mph+ on the exit from Church?"

A10ROX now garaged with D10ROX (Red GT3)!

I didn't say don't touch them, i said I wouldn't touch them, I tested a set of Avon crossplys last Nov and was miles off it and just coudln't get on with them, I then tested with some radials (admittedly they were Dunlop) a week or so after and the car was far better, even Avon told me not to use the crossplys, its old hat, look at any decent race championship and see what they use, it aint crossplys, but then of course I know nothin, its only my 7th season racing on slicks! *smile*

C7 YUM

Edited by - taffyracer on 4 Mar 2010 22:02:03

I've been racing on slicks for 6 years and always used crossplys 🥰

Each tyre has it's merits depending on your car. Radials offer wider contact patch and benefit from sideways movement thus tend to suit a powerful heavier Seven such as CSR. Crossplys benefit from laterial movement and tend to suit a lighter Seven. However, each will be fine if your suspension geometry is set correct for the application.

I believe there maybe more options in radials, though they are significantly heavier than crossply's.

As for Avon saying they are old hat *rolleyes* are you sure *confused* I cannot believe that at all 😬

Want to rent an 18th century Farmhouse in Rural Somerset?