Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Alternator belt - 1600SS

Chris__

Easy to change - loosen the big nut and bolt that run through the swinging slotted arm, loosen the small headed bolt at the outward end of the same arm to take the tension off the bolt until you can remove the old belt, fit the new belt, tension it up buy doing up the small headed bolt then retighten the big nut and bolt *biggrin*

As it happens I have a brand new belt from Caterham that I bought in error 3 weeks ago (I needed a shorter one as the R500 alternator pulley is smaller). Let me know if you want it, I could get it in the post Friday - yours for the CC price and I'll pay the postage.

Solent Se7ens Web!

• 3 months later...
Cheers guys. There are a couple of problems with alignment that I'm hopefully going to get sorted before we drive 2000 miles through Europe in July *eek* Needs a new alternator I think - it fouls on one of the chassis bars where it tensions up. Thread to follow I'd have thought!

Chris,

I had the problem of fouling the chassis. I tried raising the left side of the engine by placing a washer under the LHS engine/chassis mount which didn't work very well and then went for a slightly shorter belt which solved the problem.

Check what belt you have fitted and go for one about 4-5mm shorter.

Steve.

Not forgetting Percy the Polar Bear who recommends

Puddle Pet Care