Click here if you are having website access problems ×

FIA cut out switch

manningpaul

• Area Representative

After a couple of incidents of cutting out while driving and fiddling about with various electrical items, I have decided that the cut out switch is the fault. Popped into Merlin and bought replacement, went to fit this morning to discover that it is wired differently to the instructions.

The main difference seems to be no resistor wired into old one (although there is a resistor attached to earth under dash and wire to switch not attached but taped up under dash). The car has run perfectly well like this for two years, so the dilemma is:------

Wire it up without resistor (as before) or do it as per instructions, prefer the latter but would like to know why it would have been disconnected?

• Area Representative

Thats what I have done, started fine and ran until I noticed low oil pressure light on, so stopped engine, checked oil level *thumbup*, went to start again and the old symptoms are back *rolleyes*, turning over but not starting, then as it hasn't had a long run for quite some time the battery is flat, currently on charge.

Decided to fix front anti-roll bar end (n/side) took it off to discover the threaded end has disappeared completely *confused*, ball end fine, so has anyone got a s/hand bar they no longer have a use for. Current one was green, is that soft or hard?

Edited by - manningpaul on 14 Feb 2010 16:31:48

• Area Representative

Hi Steve *wavey*

Its the large seperate orange light on the dash, similar to that fitted to some race cars. Don't know if having an Apollo makes any difference, but sometimes it comes on after a few seconds and goes out almost straight away, when first started, if the oil is near min on dipstick. Doesn't sound as though it is running without oil, but just stopped it to make sure everything was OK.

Regards Paul.

Edited by - manningpaul on 14 Feb 2010 18:32:17

Hi Paul - I've got a green arb that we could come to some arrangement over (I'm in need of a Chiminea and could do a px) although surely all you need is the threaded bolt that connects the end of the bar with the ball?

I had a similar thing happen and found the threaded part had disappeared into the arb tube, disconnecting the ball and leaving it inside the cup.

Edited by - OAP on 15 Feb 2010 10:42:08

• Area Representative

Thanks for the offers of help, presume from what you are saying David that the threaded end screws into both the roll bar and the plastic ball, if so might be able to sort it myself.

No time to do it today but will have a look first thing tomorrow and let you know if I need yours.

Happy to do a deal on a Chimenea, stock both clay and cast iron, but also have some new rather contempory ones!

Hi Paul - yes it does screw into both, so you should be able to sort it out. I can't think that the threaded part could have come out as there is just no room, unless the mountings either side of the radiator were very loose.

Let me know if you need mine and I'll bring it to the next meeting. Do you have any pictures of the Chimeneas?

• Area Representative

Will bring a catalogue to the next meet, can't imagine you are in a hurry, hardly sitting out in the garden weather at the moment, especially with a stiff sea breeze!

Regards Paul.