Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New Build R400 SV Question - Am I being an idiot?

andrew_r

I am nearing the finish of my R400 SV build and I thought I would fit the rear wheel arches and exhaust silencer.

Wheel arches all fitted OK.

I thought I would fit the exhaust. I then realised despite the manual that the exhaust needs to be fitted first. I then removed the wheel arch and tried to fit the exhaust.

The exhaust as an assembly appears to be 1.5 inches too long, so I can't fit the rear bracket and if I could it would hit the wheelarch.

The headers are nice and central in the hole. The cat is pulled up tight to the headers and the silencer is tight to the cat - but it's still too long.

I can email photos if anyone wants a look, don't know how to attach them here.

Am I missing something or being stupid - surely I can't have an incorrect part ??? I have an SV - is a CSR assembly longer?

I am feeling I may have a CSR repackable silencer. Can anyone supply dimensions of the cat and silencer for a CSR and R400 SV Duratec. I may be able to compare.

I have even had the assembly polished :-(

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Andrew

Edited by - andrew_r on 29 Dec 2009 14:21:37

• Area Representative

As Tony has mentioned, I had the same problem. The original part supplied by Caterham was too long (although the diameter of this part was small enough for the black guard). I arranged a replacement (picked up from Brands Hatch during an experience day) but that was too long as well. I eventually let Caterham fit the correct part when they took the car back for the post build check. The diameter of the new part is too great for the guard, but the surface temperature isn't that great, even after a long run, so no problems with burnt legs when exiting the car *smokin*. Here's a picture for reference.

My car is a Roadsport SV with the 2.0L 175 Duratech engine.

Regards, Ian.

Edited by - IanW on 29 Dec 2009 17:32:54

• Area Representative

Andrew,

My silencer box is 63cm long with a diameter of 18cm. The front tube is about 6.5cm long and the rear extends a maximum of 14 cm from the end of the silencer.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Ian.