Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Later style CF nose?

SLR No.77

• Leadership Team

Can anyone recommend a source for a later (post-2000) carbon nose in 2x2 twill weave (diagonal stripe appearance)?

After the chassis was changed in '96 and the front bottom suspension pick-up points were lowered, the old nose was still used until around 2000 when it was replaced with a deeper version.

Stu.

Joint Area Representative MAD Sevens (Merseyside And District)

www.superse7ens.co.uk..........the rebuild 😬

• Leadership Team

RJ - this is the one from Caterham, unfortunately "straight" weave.

Mick - as far as I'm aware, and I stand to be corrected, Bryn's is made for the pre-'96 chassis, ie. it leaves a gap above the wishbone mounts when fitted to a later chassis.

Willie - unlikely!

Stu.

Edited by - sforshaw on 29 Dec 2009 11:56:24

It's infusion-moulded. And I would call it shiny, but then... I'm not polishing anything.

Heavier than the pre-preg, but seemed lighter than the one with "straight" weave.

Why not ask Darren when he returns after New Year?

To be fair, it's been a few years since I had mine, and I think it would have been O.K. if it had been clear coated to seal the surface.

The problem is, there's no UV protection, and they go dull very quickly.

I had a watermark also apear in mine, from when it got wet under the cover.

Quality may have improved now.

• Leadership Team

Mick, the problems you highlight do appear to have been common with the straight weave carbon, and also with some of the last of the diagonal. I've just had a rear wing painted that in it's bare state had shown water problems. Maybe a change of supplier and weave direction is allied to an improved quality.

Any others though doing the later style moulding?

Stu.

Edited by - sforshaw on 28 Dec 2009 23:02:24

My car currently has two odd carbon cycle wings, the left one diagonal weave and the right one straight weave. The straight weave one has completely had it and the diagonal one has stood up to the weather better.

Not exactly scientific I know, but both were fitted to the car at the same time (I believe, by the previous owner).

Both have a satin finish, by the way.

Just found a picture of my old Caterham nosecone. here It does indeed appear to be straight weave.

If I where you, I'd go for the Caterham one, but have it clear coated. It will bring the weave out beautifully and fill any pin holes. It will also seal the carbon. When I polished mine, the black came off on the cloth. *wink*

• Leadership Team

Well I've seen a set of Bryn's CF this morning and I'm less than impressed - I bought a CF dash a while back and I think it's the same source. To achieve anything like a decent finish this CF needs A LOT of trimming and finishing. I have DiTP rear wings and although they don't fit quite as well as the Caterham supplied stuff, the finish is simply phenominal - Bryn's is not in the same league, not anywhere near *thumbdown*

Let's hope the latest Caterham offerings are of a quality that prevents us wanting to look elsewhere *thumbup*

Stu.

It's difficult to find propper pre-preg, with everything that will match, and with good quality. Good luck with your search.

Now maybe you can see why I went all ally.

I am a bit surprised by your comments above though. *confused*

I bought some of his cycle wings, and although I passed them on before seeing them, the new owner seemed very pleased with them, and I've heard nothing but positive comments about his stuff.

Just goes to show, the proof of the spotted dog is in the eating. *wink*