Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bulkhead header tank installation

CageyH

Does anybody have any information/pictures, of how they have mounted a cooling system header tank in the bulkhead area? Which tank did you use?

I am not happy with the mounting method I have used with my universal header tank, and it is a pain in the 🙆🏻 having to remove the nose cone to check the water level.

I also don't have much space due to an Apollo tank and inboard suspension.

Only dead fish go with the flow....!

I mounted both a Mocal brick-shaped rectanghular header tank, and an identical connected overflow "burp" tank, on my scuttle in front of the heater. I fashioned some right-angle brackets and 45-degree support brackets out of aluminium angle, had them welded to hold their angles, and mounted all to the scuttle with nut-serts and hex-headed button bolts.

I have a photo of the general layout, and could sketch how I mounted the tanks on the brackets. I have not been successful in posting photos to BlatChat, so could you send me you e-mail by pm?

Unfortunately I'm flying from Anchorage, Alaska tonight for Christmas holidays in Boston on the East Coast, so I may not be able to respond until I return on Dec. 30, but I'd love to share my "home-made" solution (which does look rather smart, IMHO).

Alaskossie

And I used

Caterham Holder Bracket - Expansion Bottle - 2001 onwards (73128)

Caterham Cap - Expansion Bottle - Rover & Sigma (PCD000090)

Caterham Expansion Bottle - Rover & Sigma (PCF000012)

The expansion bottle was mounted off one of the engine bay diaganals using a clamp and threaded bar as there was insufficient space to mount off the scuttle as i'd got a heater installed 😬

The expansion bottle is set so the top of the cap is approx 5mm under the bonnett.

Q469 WET 1990 Caterham 1690 Crossflow Long Cockpit in Ali except for the red bits.CaterBram on Facebook