Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Gearbox replacement

randybugger

I'm about to replace my gearbox with a BGH (type 9) *thumbup*

How do I disconect the gearbox from the gearstick? is it just a matter of unscrewing the ball and leaving the shaft or is there a linckage that needs to come off? do I need to remove the carpet?

Tony

Remove the whole gear lever by undoing the 3 bolts that secure it to the top of the box and lifting it out (you will need to remove the alloy tunnel cover/s to enable you to see them). It is possible to extract the gearbox down the tunnel with the shaft still fitted but it's very fiddly. Remember that when you disconnect the gearbox from the propshaft, if you tip it you will spill oil all over the floor. I have made up a cap to slide into the box to prevent this but failing that stuff some rag in there and try not to tip it

Edited by - ECR on 2 Oct 2009 12:08:08

I made the cap myself from an old exhaust tail trim (just brazed a lid on it). Since then it strikes me that if you look carefully on supermarket shelves, something like an old deodorant aerosol tin (cut down) may well be the right sort of size. Let me know the brand if you discover one *smile*

Edited by - ECR on 3 Oct 2009 16:02:26