Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What next.

maxeast

Evening Guy's,

Currently running a 1999 1600ss superlight with lightened flywheel. Have also fitted vernier pully's, emerald ecu (running the base map supplied by Dave Andrews), jenvey throttle bodies, auto teknik air box. Wondering if I am getting the best out of the car. Find all the power arrives between 5000 and 7400rpm is this acceptable. Is there much I can do to get the power coming in sooner if possible. Am I chasing my a..e! I realise it is a 1600 and therefore torque is an issue. Just wondering as you do. Also what power should I be getting with this map. Would a better exhaust help matters.

Regards,

Steve.

• Area Representative

Hi Steve

I would get the Emerald mapped on a rolling road. I would also change the exhaust if you have the Caterham standard system. As Oily has suggested, the cams will need to timed to suit your set-up

Regards

John

Regards

Assuming that engine is set up properly the exhaust is key as Dave says. On my 1600 use a R400 exhaust which has the removeable cat. With cat in place (for mot) top end is only a few bhp down but power/torque drops in the 3-5000 area. Replace the cat with the pipe to make it a 4-2-1 and the improvement from as low as 2000 is very significant.

Engine is with throttle bodies, Daves gas flowed head with large valves, verniers, 285 cams, forged pistons etc and light weight fly wheel and 6 speed etc.

Dave,

The cams were timed to your settings as suggested when i bought the kit from you, so should be no problems there. The exhaust suggestion was what I thought.

Thanks to all for your reply's.

p.s. Should I buy a powerspeed or the r400 exhaust.