Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ultimate Tow Car

Nick T

For Sale Landrover Discovery TDi, 93, 5 door, 7 seats, fsh, 80K, full electric pack, adjustable height Witter tow pack, MOT and Tax May 03, Recon box, new shocks, polybush, superb example throughout, although not quite as fast as my Seven. £6795 ovno Tel 01489 600945

Off the topic but I had a dream about going round the nice BIG sports car showrooms and

asking if they could fit a tow bar and what the towing weight limit was.

TVR & Bentley were the only ones that could it... again in my dream.

In reality I am sure Bentley would not so sure about TVR.

Steve

My racing pics hereid=red>

Hants (North) and Berkshire area club site

hereid=red>

Holden HSV or any other dunnydoor has been known to open out the door shuts at the rear if you try and tow at Manufacturers max load. Thats why I bought a Ford. This info came from a friend at Ford who saw the results of Ford testing a Holden the same way they test their own vehicles

Holden do two different tow kits for the VT/VX Commodore, there is a lightweight tow kit and a more heavy duty tow kit. The lightweight kit is a bit mickey mouse, the heavy duty kit is much more substantial and includes oil coolers, uprated suspension and all sorts of tweaks to deal with heavy loads encountered whilst towing.

Ford Australia tested a VT-II fitted with the lightweight kit to the limits specified for the heavy duty tow kit and managed to twist the floor pan in the boot which, in turn, affected the rest of the back of the car. This is hardly surprising as they used a trailer with over 300kg of nose weight on it - the lightweight hitch was only specified for 75kg.

The current Oz Fords are well built cars, and the chassis design is a step ahead of the Holden - my big worry are the stories of the rear subframe brace shearing on the later VT/VX chassis.

Miraz

Bloke I know had to sell his Porsche 911 'cos a towbar wasn't an option. Had to settle for an M5. What a bummer! (Or Bimmer I suppose).

You'd have to go a long way to beat the Land Cruiser Colorado as a tow car IMHO. Aircraft hangar type space for tools, etc., great pulling power (diesel) and great hadnling (for a 4x4) when not hauling. Downside? Not quite the cachet of the Amazon.

Davebo

C7 CAR

Edited by - Davebo on 25 Jul 2002 13:34:08