Click here if you are having website access problems ×

A question for those with Emerald ECUs and Duratec

k80rum

What coolant temperature sensor are you using?

Reason I ask is that I stuck with the original Ford unit and spliced the Emerald onto that.

Today was my first engine start ( *biggrin*) and the Emerald is displaying

Water temperature issues aside, I'm staggered that my first ever engine build runs! It's got good oil pressure and I even remembered to recalibrate the TPS before starting it.

Admittedly it ran like an over- rich 2-stroke to start with.. I realised the injector values in Neil Greer's map, which I was trying because I'm using the same injectors and fuel pressure, were using the injector scaling for the old K series because injector scaling isn't transferred in map files. This meant the injector pulse width was twice what it should have been *redface* Once I realised and corrected this, it ran a bit better...

Darren E

K80 RUM Website and Emerald maps library

Home of the long-term, supercharged Duratec project *biggrin*

Edited by - k80rum on 24 Jul 2009 18:42:41

Thanks chaps *smile*

Ian,I'm going to replace the sensor anyway. Looking at the Emerald out of bounds parameters for the coolant sensor, it seems as though I'm effectively getting a short when it's connected up. I may well check the calibration of the new sensor out of curiousity though *thumbup*

Brent 😳 😬 Oo, now you've done it!

Hanns Per, I'm using the Raceline Water Rail, so have got two sensor locations at the outlet at the back, one for the M10 or whatever size it is for ECU senders and one for the smaller 1/8npt that gauges tend to use. I guess the one between pistons 2 and 3 is in the water rail for the CC cars? The only thing I've got on mine between pistons 2 and 3 is the knock sensor, which is on the left in the middle of the block.

One sensor duly ordered. Just need to twiddle my thumbs until it arrives now. Bother!

Darren E

It's time to get out in the garage to polish the hairdressers car ---

Well it's funny you should say that Regin as only 30 minutes before I posted that last night, I was showing the car to a friend who hadn't seen it before and we both decided to give it a polish while we were in the garage. 😬 Not too sure that was such a good idea after all the red wine but hey ho! *cool*

[back on topic] Darren, are you using a thermostat in the Raceline water rail or the Ford component on the side of the block?

That's a co-incidence Brent, I decided to do a bit of polishing last night too *smile*

I've opted for an 82 deg stat on the block rather than in the rail. An added bonus with this approach was the housing has less depth to it, making the plumbing easier. Hooray!

Darren E

Edited by - k80rum on 25 Jul 2009 15:23:46

The one on the block is by far the better solution. I opted for that, on Ammos recommendation, with my engine in its final guise. I got a quicker warm up and the temperature remained much more steady at just over 80 showing on the gauge. *thumbup*