Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Injector port blanking

k80rum

What's the recommended way of fitting the injector port blanking plugs?

Are they just an interference fit and you drift them in or is it a good idea to seal them with anything when fitting?

Mine seem a close fit but don't really seem to need pressing home which I'm a bit concerned about. Having never fitted any to a head before I'm not sure what the norm is..

Darren E

K80 RUM Website and Emerald maps library

Home of the long-term, supercharged Duratec project *biggrin*

Darren,

Might be an idea to tell what engine etc *cool*

I haven't got a clue about the Duratec, but you need to ensure they are absolutely air tight.

If it's made in a way similar to the Jenvey TB's I'd probably turn out a plug from alloy with a groove for an O-ring, but that's without knowing what your engine actually looks like.

Hi Regin,

Sorry, I assumed it was fairly universal. It is indeed a Duratec and I'm blanking off the injector ports in the head because I've put the injectors in the Jenveys.

The ports themselves are just 15mm(?) holes for standard injectors. A quick and dirty solution would be to use the redundant Ford injectors to fill the holes with old the fuel rail to hold them in place.

I'd like something a bit neater though and Raceline supplied me with a set of machined plugs to fit the holes but as I say, the tolerance seems a bit generous. They're very simple aluminium blanks, about 10mm in height. I'd sealed them to keep them airtight as you say but I suppose they need to be a very tight fit rather than sealed or if any backpressure from valve overlap could cause them to pop out *confused*

I can always give Raceline a ring this week as a last resort but the question hadn't been asked on BC before so I thought I'd pose it. I'll dig the micrometer out to compare the hole and plug sizes and perhaps ask for some replacements.

PS did you get my reply to your last email? Not that I was expecting a reply but sometimes things don't make it past our keen corporate mailfilter *rolleyes*

Darren E

Edited by - k80rum on 13 Jul 2009 07:48:39

Yes, and I replied to it *confused*

Will re-send from another account.

There's hardly any pressure there. If there is you're in bigger trouble than the blanking plugs popping out *wink*

If you have the old injectors I suppose you also have the O-rings? If so I could machine out some plugs that will accept the O-ring for you.

/r

This for an atmo or blown motor?

Atmo should be fine with normal plugs (which will get sucked in anyway).

A blown motor needs to handle maybe 2+ bar of boost so needs proper sealing. For a permanent seal, I'd either JB Weld / tig weld the plugs in. Of course if you want to use the ports in the future (maybe to go 8 injector or something) you'll need to make something that bolts down to hold the plugs in.

Regin: Thank you for the offer of machining them for the O-rings, it's very kind and much appreciated.

Norm: They're much thicker than core plugs unfortunately but thanks for the suggestion

I've decided to bite the bullet and JB-weld them in. I'd originally used a petrol-resistant Loctite sealant I had, but I'm not convinced it'll remain airtight and I'm never expecting to use the ports in the head again in any case.

Because the ports are angled into the head, I don't expect the JB-weld will ever be exposed to much fuel/air mixture but the plugs sit against a smaller seating face in any case.

Thanks to you all for your help and suggestions 😶‍🌫️

Darren E

Edited by - k80rum on 13 Jul 2009 12:22:18