Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New R500 Dash Buttons - Longevity?

J7HPC

Those of you lucky enough to have the new R500, I was considering a "Dash Project" this winter and was going to fit carbon with the R500 aluminium look push buttons.

However, I just popped into Caterham Cars (south) today on the way past from a meeting to have a nose and the R500 demonstrator was outside. The dash looked really tatty as half the buttons had lost their tops... *confused*

Those of you who've gone that route, could you share whether or not they're holding up ok? Don't want to replace the dash / switches, only to do it again in a year!

Cheers

Rupert

I have what was the other R500 demonstrator and the dash buttons are fine. No obvious problems so far. If you'd looked a little closer at CC South you should have seen mine in their workshop.

The white demo runs an aero screen, of course, and CC do tend to leave their cars out in all weathers. If you're sensible about it I don't see why they wouldn't last a long time.

Duncan

Hi Rupert,

I've had my buttons for a year now. All but one seem to have held up well although I think it's still too early to say. I too lost one of the tops - the die-cut inserts that sit on the face of the button and display what it does.

I think some cheap glue is used in the construction; I superglued the face (which I found in the footwell *smile*) back on and haven't had any trouble with it since.

Bank on using some micro-relays to operate things and a dimmer to keep the button brightness down at night, if you decide to go ahead *thumbup*

Darren E

K80 RUM Website and Emerald maps library

Home of the long-term, supercharged Duratec project *biggrin*

Hello Duncan *wavey* Sounds like repairs are underway! Hopefully you'll be back on the road soon & can join us for another Sunday blat. *smile*

Perhaps bring a packed lunch next time just in case of probs 😬

PS Is your 7 the one that hamster drove on TG? Renault Sport yellow?

Martin *thumbup*

i've upgraded to them and they're all good! You can find them fairly cheap online if you search for "savage motorsport switches", but beware the heated screen switch doesn't latch like they all say in the description so i had to buy two switches to make one!

(one which did latch and swap the faces around), also good luck with the indicators/hazards which are a nightmare to wire!

I bought them from "waxacar" in Runcorn who i found to be good.. free postage aswel!

C7 WEA 1.6K DVA Power

Edited by - Wil Akroyd on 10 Jul 2009 23:04:49

Cheers guys, it was indeed the white demonstrator, sounds like the problem you had Darren but I guess if it's out on a demo then the person driving probably didn't have the same level of care to find the missing buttons and glue them back that you did.

There were 4 or 5 missing the tops.

They had an older k series R500 there with the switches and rubberised buttons for sale and they looked to have held up ok.

Cheers

Rupert

Mine have been fine except for one issue:

Side light switch - needs a bit if a tap every now and then to reinstate the illumination.

other than that they are perfect and look great.

Oh and Darren's advice (and wiring diagram- thanks Darren *thumbup*) is spot on - a dimmer switch is a must for night time driving *wink*