Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Popping and banging...

Eugene

My new Zetec is great, but has started popping and banging through the exhaust and carbs on low throttle settings/slow speeds.

The idle revs can also be variable when coming off the throttle without warning, and often the revs don't drop immediately, and the engine has even stalled at a junction...

I've not had a chance to have a fiddle as I'm just back from the railway stn., but thought I'd post this quick question to see if there are any ideas before I start pulling things to bits...

It has to be an easy problem as all has been running well, but I'm only just into the running-in period, so no rolling road just jet!

Leaking air around the carbs?

Wrong jets?

Any other ideas???

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Small Boy - with Loud Toy!

See Eugene here

and see what I do here

Long shot but check the exhaust manifold flanges where it meets the head. The weld here can fail making the car run poorly. esp if it was difficult getting the whole lot to line up, erhem *redface*

Edited by - millsn on 20 Jun 2009 11:45:05

It seems to have been a combination of air leaking around the carbs and lean set idle jetting... Lots better now, with stable idle revs, and less popping and banging - although some.

Good enough until I get to the rolling road session 😬

Boy, is it great to drive!

Small Boy - with Loud Toy!

See Eugene here

and see what I do here

• 4 weeks later...

Guys,

What is the definition of popping and banging? Other words I hear a lot are spitting and couching.

Can anyone enlighten this terminology since I am also fiddling with the carbs of my Twin Cam and it is always nice to be able to describe the observations correctly?

Jack Flash

Popping and banging with flames (usualy only sen at night) is due to overfuelling from Weber carbs. The excess fuel collects in the silencer and then explodes making a loud bang and shooting a flame from the exhaust. In most cases there's nothing actually wrong.

Doesn't happen on injected engines as the fuel is shut off on the overrun.

be careful about overtightening the carbs. They're supposed to be flexible to stop fuel frothing at high revs.

I've had people tell me the carbs are letting in air because when they move the carbs up and down the revs rise. I show them that they are opening the throttle as they yank upwards and this is why the revs rise.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven toThe French Blatting Company Limited

Glad you love your Zetec so much, they really are fabulous engines and seem to work very well indeed in a Seven.

I wouldn't change mine for anything 🥰

'Have you any idea what it's like to have the wind rushing through your hair!' (Quote:Sq Cdr the Lord Flashheart)

I would say too rich. The popping and banging is fuel in the silencer exploding.

If the fuel isn't shut off on the overrun of a 7 then its been disabled as it's normal on an ECU managed car to do this.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven toThe French Blatting Company Limited

• Area Representative

My Sigma 150 used to pop and bang on the overun but the latest re-map has cured it.

A shame really because it sounded great.

Russ

*wavey* *wavey* *wavey*

• Area Representative

Mal,

Maybe you could ask the nice people at Caterham to do the re-map and leave the pops and bangs intact.

Seriously though it is a big improvement.

Russ

*wavey*

My 150 Sigma has just had the new map. Not had a propper blat yet just a drive back from Caterham - motorway driving is much improved 😬

Couldn't resist getting shift light fitted while it was in *tongue*

Learning new skills all the time, 10000 miles completed.