Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Replacing cracked sump

jamesc

Help please!

I managed to crack the sump on my R300 yesterday (bottomed out during some spirited driving). Could someone confirm whether this is a job that can be undertaken by a mechanical numpty?

The car is dry sumped (the Caterham swirl tower type that uses the bell housing). I've just spoken to James Gibson at Dartford who quoted £225.00 for a new one, plus I'll need the oil filter that goes in one of the hoses and the main oil filter.

Also might I have done any other damage (engine mountings and the like)? I don't think I did any damage to the internals as I didn't go far and the oil took a while to empty completely.

What do you think?

You'll have to take it off first but you might be able to get it welded up by a local engineering firm. It depends on how badly damaged it is and how easily the cracks can be identified and sealed. If you've damaged one of the scavenge outlets you would do well to get a new one though as it might never seal properly.

Provided you stopped the engine before the oil pressure disappeared it should be fine. However, if you have any doubts about this (and only you know!), you would be well advised to get the bearings checked. From your description it sounds as though you did shut it off in good time, in which case no need to worry.

If you hit a rock that punched a hole in the sump then its less likely that the mounts will have been stretched. If it was a hump or manhole cover or you felt the car lifted off the ground I would try and get the car up in the air or over a pit so you can have a good look around to check for other damage. This will make removing/replacing the sump a great deal easier as well.

Paul

james,

If you have a jack place it under the damaged sump and get someone to raise the jack slowly whilst you watch the engine mountings. If the rubber block at the bottom of the arms seperate as the engine is lifted then it needs replacing.

They do break fairly easily as they are designed to have the engine weight on them not being pushed upwards with the weight hanging off the bottom.

Norman Verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Reg: B16BDR, Mem No 2166, the full story here

You and your seven toThe French Blatting Company Limited

Just had a cracked xflow alloy sump fixed. Couldn't see the crack from the outside, but could on the inside. (THERE ARE CRACK DETECTION FLUIDS AVAILABLE) Just ran the tig torch up and down the crack, basically fused the metal back together, no wire required.

Cheers John

JFDI

(Just F*****g Do It)

Just as a note to the above, the gold scavenge pump will suck oil quicker than it can fall out of a largish hole in the sump pan.

I have destroyed 2 pans and driven over 50 miles without loosing a drop. As soon as I swithed the engine off it all fell out on the drive.

Do check both the rubber part of the mounts as well as the metal engine mount welds. I have had both fail after grounding.

Good luck with the repair.

S7MAD

Thanks for the posts and I will indeed check the engine mounts very carefully.

MADMALC - were you able to repair the sump both times, or have you had to replace?

Also is there a gasket on the sump pan or should I use some proprietary material? if so any recommendations?

Lastly, is it best to replace the filter in the hose as well as the main oil filter?

Cheers

James

Traditionally, the dry sump is sealed with a plastic gasket goo.

However, I fit the wet sump gasket, but cut the centre out of it, to retain just the outer edge. It thus becomes possible to fit and remove the sump freely, without the worry of cleaning off the old gasket goo and they apply more on to yourself and the sump!

JH

Deliveries by Saffron, *thumbup* the yellow 230bhp Sausage delivery machine

James,

I have sump issues at the mo aswell and have been recommended to try either:-

Roy at ACS on 01376 513419

or

Mark at DS Engineering here

Both are in Witham, Essex only 2mins off the A12.

Stew

Both were destroyed so new both times.

I have used sealant but the last time it did not seal first time so had to drop the sump and do it again. I will try the cut down gasket next time.

I have now increased my ride height to try and save it happening again.

S7MAD

Excellent - I have a sump gasket from my old Supersport.

Thanks for the info on the Witham welders - very handy as I live in Witham!

The sump is now off and cracks are clearly visible at the front edge. Only difficulty I have had is removing the stainless steel baffle from inside. Three of the hex bolts are too tight and I have now rounded them off on the inside. Presumably the baffle will have to come out before it is welded, so I'll hope that the engineers can sort it out for me.

JC

Sump now being repaired (ACS - thanks 7nut).

Further proof of my lack of credentials - are there torque settings or anything for tightening the bolts when putting the sump back on and should I be loctiting or anything?

JC

Yes Roy repaired the sump. Bead blasted and welded - not too bad a job and only £30.00. The problem is that I can't be sure that everything is OK because I was thwarted in the end by a wrong O-ring (supplied by Caterham). This was only discovered after putting everything back together, pouring in a couple of litres of expensive Caterham Motorsport oil and watching it leaking fairly steadily from the rear hose union. It proved frustratingly impossible to find a 25mm o-ring on Saturday afternoon. Does anyone know the exact size/spec of this small but crucial part?

So a beautiful weekend went by without a blat, made up for by my equally (though differently) engaging motorbike.

After an abortive attempt last week everything is back in working order (thanks Redline for being able to supply the correct o-ring).

So I can report that Roy at ACS's repair of the sump worked, as did the altered wet sump gasket as suggested by John Howe.

Thanks again to all who troubled to answer my queries.