Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Spare wheel carrier for a car without one

Doug

My Se7en doesn't have a spare wheel carrier, which is just what I want most of the time. However, 18 months ago I was caught in a bad spot on the A3 with a flat and 125 miles from home.

So, what I would like to do is devise a fully removable spare wheel carrier without the need to mess around with the rear panel of the car. I don't have the tubes sticking out at the bottom of the back end either.

Has anyone devised a method of fixing such a carrier to the tubes beneath the fuel tank, which can be easily removed when not needed?

I envisage something along the lines of an ali block (appx 6cm x 6cms x 2.5cms) with two parallel holes drilled through it end to end, then cut in half so that tubes can be clamped together when it is reassembeld and bolted up.

One chassis tube and one carrier tube would be placed in each clamp and then sandwiched together when the block is bolted together. You'd probably require 4 of these sandwich clamps but it should be pretty secure, providing the chassis tubes were man enough.

'Have you any idea what it's like to have the wind rushing through your hair!' (Quote:Sq Cdr the Lord Flashheart)

If you get the opportunity to look at the spare wheel carrier on a 'Steel Fabrications' chassis (2006 0nwards) compared to that on an 'Arch' chassis you will see that it is bolted on instead of welded on. This makes it totally removable although it still requires a hole in the rear panel for the 'Y' frame.

Just being nosey but why would you want it to be removable anyway?

Be Lucky!!

Martin

(Solent Se7ens) M7

Doug,

I cut off the wheel carrier on my old classic and made it removable buy adding 2 bits of box section so that slid in; it was then loccked in place with a couple of grub screws.

I know that your car is different... but the point is that I've sold the car but still have the wheel carrier.

Could be a good starting point? Let me know if you want it.

K80 ROM, R400

Regarding the steel fab chassis, the removeable carrier is on the SV chassis, not on the S3 I believe. Whilst the bosses are welded in the S3 chassis, the rear skin is not drilled and more importantly there is no clearance between the tank and the chassis rail to get a nut onto the carrier stud. Tank would need to be relieved (tricky) or it might be possible to reposition it slightly to get enough clearance.

So whilst possible, not that simple to fit a detachable carrier onto an S3, even steel fab. It is a mod that I will one day look at.

Unless anyone knows differently !

Angus

My SV skin wasn't drilled either, the nice man at Arch did that

I understood all wheel carriers on Steel Fabs Chassis are put on on the same way, SV or S3, the only difference to mine is that they are usually put on in the Factory before the fuel tank.

I will admit that having the SV makes the retrofit easier...... 😬

Bruce at Arch makes the carrier, not sure if Caterham add it ot the chassis or Steel Fabs. (i'm guessing Caterham as it will depend on customer order) You also have to make sure you have the correct slot in the backplate to fit the wishbone to, if you wish to retrofit

But going back to the OP, I sketched up all sorts of carriers before I discovered I had the bosses, none of which I was particularly chuffed with , the one that had the most going for it was a triangular frame with pegs at the bottom that would go through the skin and pick up on the lower chassis rail to take the weight. The top of the triangle would be fixed to the wishbone fixing point.

Rik

Roadsport SV 1.6 Sigma 150

in Viper Blue here

My Superlight R has the removable, bolted on wheel carrier.

Run your finger along the lower tube to feel if it has the bosses welded into the tube.

The bolt head is of the very slim variety, much like the ones used on the FIA bar that go up above the shocker mounts.

S7MAD

Doug

I had the same problem. I was given some drawings from a BC member and got a local welder to make one up. It hangs on the top chassis rail and extra support is given by the "V" bracket mount. The one I have is a bit overkill but works very well. I can send pice next week if you want. I think a reasonable copy could be made using a removed CC carrier if you can get one.

Cheers

Dave B

Hi Angus my spare wheel carrier is removable and mines an S3 but you are right there isn't much room between the bolts and the tank they seem to have put dents in the tank where the bolt heads are, *confused* I am in the planning stage of making a Quick change spare wheel carrier I have made an Alloy plate the shape of the number plate and light and that will bolt through the holes left by the spare wheel carrier and I have put some connectors in the wire for the number plate light, and the hole left by the Y bracket I will glue a nose cone badge onto a bolt Happy Days 😬 Regards Paul