Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How long do AO21Rs last?

Doug

Do they harden with age and if so over what sort of period.

The reason I ask is that I've just bought some wheels with AO21Rs and they seem harder than the 21s on my other set of wheels (which are less than 12 months old). It could also be that they are a harder compound.

'Have you any idea what it's like to have the wind rushing through your hair!' (Quote:Sq Cdr the Lord Flashheart)

Allegedly, tyres should be thrown after 6 years.... So most peoples spare wheel is useless.

The date code on the side is the week number and year of manufacture. So it should be easy to work out.

But if you are lazy, Car Bibles has a calculator (in red) ust before the description of the E mark....

Cheers,

Graham

------

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

My A021R 70 profiles road use only will probably get up to 8K or nearly 2 seasons before needing replaced. I'm fairly light on tyres in the tintop, so I suspect 4K or less might be achievable if you really try to strip the tread off them *wink*

Alex McDonald

Loud, louder, loudest...

I've always used 60 profile AO21s. So, are 70 profile actually more suitable on 13" rims?

'Have you any idea what it's like to have the wind rushing through your hair!' (Quote:Sq Cdr the Lord Flashheart)

I went from 60 profile on 14" rims to 70 profile on 13's and for road use prefer the 70's. How much is to do with the reduction in rim size, I don't know. They're considerably cheaper too. 😬

So, the consensus is either slicks or CR500s. Where is the best place to get decent second hand slicks?

Are there still quality issues with CR500s - splitting sidewalls etc?