Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Gearbox Oil

Rich N

I realise lots of threads have been started about this but not many end with conclusive advice.

I need to get some gearbox oil (for a 6 speed) from a local source and I'm being asked what grade I would like. I am aware that the gearbox oil absolutely must be:

"Fully Synthetic" and "GL4"

(as GL5 is "too thick for the synchromesh to bite through") ...but what grade is 'best' ?

--=[Oxford7s.net]=--

[subscribe: List-subscribe@Oxford7s.net]

Frustratingly, nobody local sells anything suitable (Halfords, 2 local parts places) so I'll have to order some Redline MTL if that seems to be the general favourite on here.

On the bright side, it has prompted me to change from a quick top-up to a complete drain and re-fill.

--=[Oxford7s.net]=--

[subscribe: List-subscribe@Oxford7s.net]

What made you go for that one?

The Caterham assembly manual. The manual I received with my 7 recommends 75W-90 GL4 gear oil.

edit -- I could swear I remember reading the recommended oil weight in the manual, but I cannot find it in the current online manual. I will check the collection of paper I have at home this evening.

*smile* Sean

Edited by - BBL on 5 May 2009 21:07:46

I checked my manual, and I had hand-written "75W-90" in it, but cannot recall the source. I suspect the MTL used in a car in England should be functionally equivalent to using the slightly thicker MT-90 in a car in a slightly warmer climate (here).

*smile* Sean