Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Xflow dry sump pipe routing

MusCat

On my dry-sumped xflow the pipe from the oil tank on the passenger side of the car goes under the gearbox to get to the sump pump on the drivers side of the engine.

This makes it one of the 3 lowest points on the car (the bellhousing and the bent chassis rail under the gear box are marginally lower). The pipe has been bashed in the past and it would appear extremely vulnerable to being holed with catastrophic results.

Is there any reason why the pipe cannot be routed up over the gearbox and down to the sump pump? It would seem to be a modification that would be well worth doing.

Tim

I had the same problem on my crossflow but with the help of Steve Parker who had a length of suitable pipe we re routed the pipe around the front of the engine, tie wrapped to chassis rails and into the dry sump pump that way. A lot more pipe but it was safe from impact. I also saw on a photo of me driving on a track day thet when the pipe went under the bell housing it was being flattened. This spurred me on to do the re rout.

Cheers

Dave B

I have the same set-up. I would also be interested in the solutions used by others.

I would think that going over the top of the gearbox creates a possible air lock in the hose.

Slight hijack - Does your steering column route through two of the hoses as they leave the pump?

I've used both routes - and prefer the one around the front of the engine, just in front of the bottom pulley, then clipped to the chassis rail under the exhaust headers and finally past the starter motor into the bottom of the D/S tank.

I used thermal insulation around this pipe (and also the return from the cooler which I route above the exhaust headers).

Column is indeed a problem with the TITAN type 5 port pump, and required for me to cant the engine very slightly and rotate the rack to provide a clear route for the column.

I don't like the solution, for a number of reasons, so much so that I am looking at having a special coupling made for the top right connection point (return from filter/feed to block) which would stop this fouling.

Another alternative that I recall hearing about is to go for a pace pump + d/s pump + move alternator to other side etc etc. Doesn't sound cheap.

Dave.

If my memory serves me right the supply from the tank enters the pump at the rear of the unit so going around the front of the engine will result in a 180 deg turn to get into the pump - is this not a bit awkward?

Also what type of hose do people typically use?

The pipes between the tank, pump and cooler are aluminium with a plastic coating which I can find very little reference to by suppliers - Think Automotive suggest that Krontec produce such stuff but Krontec's website does not. The pipe to the rocker cover and catch tank are just rubber.

Being aluminium it's not the easiest stuff to mess around with – perhaps replacing the lot with something more flexible might help me.

Tim

The length of pipe needed would not necessarily be exactly the same - and fittings at the end may differ aswell.

I've got a splittable d/s tank, so can rotate the top in relation to the bottom - so bottom outlet could face either towards the driver (and so go under the b/housing) or towards the starter motor (and thence to the front of the engine).

If I can dfind my spare one I will measure it this weekend - though don't hold your breath, my social secretary hasn't told me what's happening yet.

DAve