Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyre Sizing Question

shn7

When I asked the question, I was told that it was not worth going 205 unless you had around 200 BHP.

Opinions vary, but if the handling isn't broken, why change it?

You could find that the rear has too much grip, and induces understeer.

I ignored the advice when I had 150ish as I was due to go for more power shortly afterwards. I went to A048's and didn't like them. It felt like the car was trying to kill me by pushing me off into a ditch. I swapped to CR500's, and they were much better.

Not tried R888's, but they are supposed to be better, as long as you don't expose them top cold weather.

Only dead fish go with the flow....!

My Se7en has 200bhp and 185 60 13s on the front and 205 60 13s on the rear. I believe I would be doing the 205s more justice if they were on 7J rims rather than the 6Js I currently have (all round). Whilst the 205s do work quite well on 6J rims, the tread sits more squarely on the road with wider rims and the sidewalls flex less. Sounds as though you'd be better with 185 60 13s all round to start with but I'm not familiar with CR500, only AO48s and AO21Rs.

'Have you any idea what it's like to have the wind rushing through your hair!' (Quote:Sq Cdr the Lord Flashheart)

Steve,

unless you are planning some major power upgrades I wouldn't up the rear tyre width and risk destroying the balance of the car.

The car dances down the road when viewed from the 'chase' position, shame to loose that just to fill the rear arches a little better.

Catch you at the next breakfast club?

C7MPR, it's RAC Orange for a reason

I run 175 front, 205 rear cr500 on a 135bhp supersport. The car has an excellent front end, does not understeer and good overall balance. My first 7 was a standard 115bhp roadsport and understeered on the track all the time (on narrower Michelins). The difference between the two cars, a rear anti roll bar and a proper full geo setup - it makes a huge difference. When I first got the cr500's I thought they were skittish, but they just need warming up they give their best. Once warm they are a really good all round tyre for both road and track. Tyres on 7J's.

Richard

(tries to put lid back on can of worms about understeer and sneaks back off *wink*)

Steve, I cannot coment on either point, I haven't driven your car *tongue*

I would still stick with the same tyres front and rear, though not CR500's due to the cost, I recently went from 048 to 888's and am happy with the change, haven't really noticed the much talked about ride improvement but hope to get more than 3k that the 048's (med. comp.) gave with at least as good grip. *smokin*

C7MPR, it's RAC Orange for a reason