Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Apollo Tank Kit Yellow Foam Insert

pburt

Does any body know where the yellow foam insert goes?

According to CC On-line Store, it "fits inside the Oil/Air Cylinder". However, according to the apollo fitting instructions, you "...insert the yellow foam pad into the cam cover". The instructions mention a photo which I don't have (and which according to Angus' & Tessa's website is pretty unclear anyway!)

So, does the foam pad go in the cam cover and, if so, where exactly?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Peter Burt

Edited by - pburt on 7 Apr 2009 23:49:37

• Area Representative
So, does the foam pad go in the cam cover and, if so, where exactly?

Yes, the foam pad go in the cam cover. It is placed over the bleed pipe from the apollo. I guess to defuse the jet of oil that will come out of the pipe.

It's a shame you didn't ask last week. *smile*

I fitted one at the weekend, and could have taken a few pictures.

Foam does go into the cam carrier. *thumbup*

I would think that in normal up to temp operation the vent line will mostly be venting the air (bubbles) that the apollo is designed to spin out of the oil but with cold oil - 8bar on my guage - the vent will have a fair jet of oil flowing and the foam will act to diffuse this.

Dont forget all the advice on the sandwich plate and hoses, they really do need to be very tight or will leak, mine was in and out, filled and drained 3 times before it stopped leaking. *eek*

C7MPR, it's RAC Orange for a reason

Edited by - leon on 8 Apr 2009 09:50:46

It is placed over the bleed pipe from the apollo

Richard, do you mean that the foam is literally pushed over the bleed pipe so that the pipe is bleeding/breathing into, rather than onto the foam? Is the foam then held position simply by being squashed down when the cam cover is bolted back on?

Are the photos supplied by CC really of no use, or could you or someone else email them to me?

Thanks for all the responses so far - all helpful stuff and I can feel another trip to Dartford coming on!!

Peter Burt

• Area Representative

Peter,

I think you've go the idea. Where the bleed pipe enters the cam cover, there is a cast web opposite the esternal side wall the the bleed pipe goes through. The foam is wedged between these two faces, and the foam will deform around the breather nipple. The fowm is then retained by the cam cover gasket.

Is that any clearer?