Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Track Day Noise Levels

BlackBart

I would like to do some trackdays this year in my recently acquired 2004 Roadsport SV 140 ( 1.8 K series ) which is unmodified (at present !). Will I have any trouble with noise levels ? What sort of level should I expect the car to produce ? And if it is too noisy what can be done ?

Graham

You should be fine , I suggest that you either do a day ( like a club one ) where the limit is 105 Db and get it tested so you have an idea how loud it is or find a club member locally who has a meter , i suspect you will be well under 100 Db

Just stay away from Goodwood *eek*

Edited by - Mark W on 11 Mar 2009 22:05:46

I've never had any problems at Goodwood, even when I sneaked in bang on 98dB recently, it was cold & the car wasnt really warmed up.

My R300 is never normally above 96dB with a 7'' can(touches wood as doing Combe on Monday with 94dB drive by)

Aztec Orange R300 Superlight

Jon - you should be OK at Combe, my understanding is that the only noise test that actually counts is the static one so if you get through that it should be fine - this was certainly the case when I was last there. If a car sounds too loud on driveby then it is pulled in for another static test - and if it passes it can carry on.

Sorry - I dodn't mean to wander off topic. With a standard Roadsport 140 you should be fine at most venues as long as the exhaust is reasonably up to scratch (ie well packed). I assume you have the type that can't be repacked but if the mileage is average for the age of car it should still be OK. Noise levels start to increase a lot more with some after market exhausts and the fitting of throttle bodies - both of which I have and it does limited where I can go as my static tests seem to range between 95 - 100 db(a).

• 1 month later...

Just tested my 1.6 Sigma 150 2007 Roadsport SV

At 4500 rpm - 95 dB(A)

at 5175 rpm (3/4 max) - 94 dB(A)

Standard Exhaust & CAT

Signature Link should go to the results (somewhere)

Rik

Roadsport SV 1.6 Sigma 150

in Viper Blue here

Edited by - Windy Corner on 22 Apr 2009 14:35:43

Jon - you should be OK at Combe, my understanding is that the only noise test that actually counts is the static one so if you get through that it should be fine - this was certainly the case when I was last there. If a car sounds too loud on driveby then it is pulled in for another static test - and if it passes it can carry on.

Almost - I was @ Combe a couple of years and easily passed the static test (96 from memory). Got pulled in after the fist session as driveby was too loud and retested (same result *smile* ). Anyway they told me to short shift and let me out again. Unfortunately I was eventually thrown off as they decided it was simply too loud on driveby. (R400 K through freshly repacked powerspeed exhaust)

Dave

It was a bit odd, perhaps a flat spot at 4500 rpm as I struggled to hold it steady.

Anyway, meter tolerances aside, they are near as dammit the same 😬

"Type 1 / Class 1 Precision Grade for laboratory and field use ± 0.7 dB Environmental, building acoustics, road vehicle

Type 2 / Class 2 General Purpose Grade for field use ± 1.0 dB Noise at work, basic environmental, motor sport "

from IEC 61672

R

Roadsport SV 1.6 Sigma 150

in Viper Blue here

Edited to add Tolerance information

Edited by - Windy Corner on 23 Apr 2009 12:43:20

Edited by - Windy Corner on 23 Apr 2009 12:50:14