Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wynn's Tyre Repair Spray

David aka Blue7

My Caterham has no spare wheel so a can of Wynn's Tyre Fix repair spray is supplied instead *rolleyes*

Instructions on the can advise removing the object that caused the puncture, turn the wheel until the valve is at the top, deflate the tyre and then inject the entire contents of the can. Drive for approx 6 miles at 30mph max then stop and adjust tyre pressure to normal pressure and then get the tyre repaired or replace at earliest convenience. Sounds simple enough *confused* Has anyone ever had cause to use this spray to repair a puncture and if so is it quite effective? It would put my mind at rest to know that it works and I won't get stranded somewhere 😳

Blue7

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else

Blue's pics

Do you have minilites with ZV3s? If you do, don't worry about the can, nothing will puncture the hard plastic!!! (*Touches wood*).

I have to be honest, I don't bother carrying even the can most of the time. I went on a 1200 mile round trip about England and Wales, and forgot it. Oops. I'm sure it works though, no doubt someone will be along in a minute to describe their experience of foam going everywhere...

For ultimate peace of mind, get breakdown recovery *tongue*

John

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 (Back on the road!!! 😬)

Talloulah: '08 1.6K Classic (Grubby )

Effective if the puncture is no more than a nail, glass etc or (as in my case on the tintop) a foot long welding rod. It won't fill a big hole.

Just don't go doing doughnuts or long distances in it. Deflating the tyre as far as you can is the key, without that it won't work properly. Don't leave it too long to replace as the tyre will slowly deflate again.

Alex McDonald

Loud, louder, loudest...

John said

Do you have minilites with ZV3s? If you do, don't worry about the can, nothing will puncture the hard plastic!!! (*Touches wood*).

No, I have 10 spoke anthracites 195/45 R15 CR500 front and 255/40 R15 CR500 rear hence no spare ☹️

I have to be honest, I don't bother carrying even the can most of the time. I went on a 1200 mile round trip about England and Wales, and forgot it. Oops.

Good grief 😳 totally carefree ... now if you had ventured north there is bound to have been a wee sharp Scottish nail lying in wait and ready to ambush you *eek*

I'm sure it works though, no doubt someone will be along in a minute to describe their experience of foam going everywhere...

Yes I wondered what the substance is and assumed foam but it seems to be gaseous because after 6 miles you are advised to reduce the tyre pressure which I wouldn't have thought possible if it was foam?

For ultimate peace of mind, get breakdown recovery

Yep ... got that free RAC cover from CC 😬

Blue7

Blue's pics

Ally McDonald said

Effective if the puncture is no more than a nail, glass etc or (as in my case on the tintop) a foot long welding rod. It won't fill a big hole.

Just don't go doing doughnuts or long distances in it. Deflating the tyre as far as you can is the key, without that it won't work properly. Don't leave it too long to replace as the tyre will slowly deflate again.

Thanks Alex, after carrying a spare wheel all my life it is kind of hard to have confidence in a wee can o' spray *wink* but I suppose in hindsight in all my 43 years of motoring I can only recall one serious puncture ... but all it takes is one

Blue7

Blue's pics

I have used it before when fixing a puncture on a previous car (Clio 172).

I just arrived at North Weald for a SELOC sprint round, got out the car to hear hissing as the front tyre deflated. I followed the instructions, but didn't have time to drive for 6 miles as I had to start my first timed run! i checked the tyre pressue, found it to be too low (about 25psi) so inflated it up to 36 and started my run. First quick left hander and I spun like a top into a cone, cracking the plastic front wing. 🙆🏻

Back to the assembly area i checked the tyre pressure expecting it to be flat. Instead it was 61psi!!!!!! Now I know why you are supposed to continue driving for 6 miles and then reduce the pressure 😳 *rolleyes*

Anyway, I finished 2nd in class that day so not all bad. Oh, and despite the warnings that you should limit your speed to 50mph I completed a days sprinting and over a thousand miles more before replacing the tyre (yes, stupid I know). When removing the old tyre all that was inside was a dusty white substance which caused no issue with the tyre fitters despite popular rumour.

So, whilst being no good for repairing huge holes, it is fine for nails and other small punctures (mine was a small piece of pipe btw.).

*smile*

David Smitheram, Wiltshire (South) AR, 07718 368173.

1400 supersport ex racer

• Area Representative

Yes - used it before on a seven and a tintop too and it does what it says on the can. Certainly better than nothing if the puncture is a nail or similar. Don't bother using it an split or rip of larg'ish hole as nothing is going to seal that!

Or, on chatting to a fellow seven on a touring trip who commented on the lack of spare on my car, I gesticulated at his car (with spare) why do I need to bother.... 😬

Nick

Back in a BEC!

Fishy Dave: great story, a true Cavalier 😳 Some good practical info' though, which is just what I was looking for. So it is not a foam but some sort of sealant that must congeal when mixed with oxygen at the exit hole caused by the puncture, hmm very ingenious *thumbup*

Mav: thanks, I will remember the rag but I will volunteer SWMBO for cleaning the wheel *wink*

Geoff said: "its horrible stuff to wipe from the rim / inner tyre" ... thanks mate, I won't tell SWMBO that *biggrin*

Nick said: "On chatting to a fellow seven on a touring trip who commented on the lack of spare on my car, I gesticulated at his car (with spare) why do I need to bother"

Very logical, I hadn't thought of that, let your mates carry a spare just in case "you" may need it ... carrying the extra weight they will always be behind you 😬

Thanks for all the replies guys, I feel a bit more confident about the reliability of the substance now and I can reassure SWMBO that we are quite secure touring without a spare wheel *rolleyes*

As backup to Wynn's and RAC, I have invested in a tyre inflater, I also intend to carry a couple of inner-tubes and I have also purchased a jack and wheel brace, which CC do not supply if you purchase a car without a spare wheel 😔

Blue7

Blue's pics