Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CSR ECU Swap to Emerald

Apothecary

I'm thinking of swapping the locked MBE ECU in my CSR 260 for an Emerald so that I can adjust the mapping as and when I want to.

Has anyone gone down this route yet 🤔

If so, what is involved regarding fitting to the loom and is there anything I would need to consider regarding sensors 🤔

Paul

CSR Superlight 260 in Mclaren Orange

Member No.109xx *cool* Pictures here

Any specific reason for wanting to swap for Emerald?

Surely given your starting point unlocking the MBE or sourcing a second unit without the lock but with the same plug would make the job easier?

Ian

Green and Silver Roadsport 😬 or Mrs Locust's Blue Roadsport Academy 😬

Paul

I drove a csr260 last week with the updated version4 (i think) map which was alot better than the earlier ones as you loose the kangoroo effect.

If an engine is mapped correctly irrespective of the ecu fitted, then it will drive fine, its not the ecu thats at fault only the map, try asking caterham for the latest upgrade, if you haven't already got it.

Dave

Paul,

There is a lot of support on here for the Emerald, you can even have multiple maps. I suspect it would not take too much to change the ECU connector.

I decided to stay with the 992 as it was simple to directly replace, and I preferred the easimap software, it also has some nice features like comparing maps.

You will need the calibration maps for the sensors, Baro, Air Temp, Coolant temp and Lambda (If closed loop).

Regards

Darren

Guy's, thanks for your comments.

I know the ECU is not at fault and its just the map. I think I have the latest version and don't have a big issue with 'kanagrooing' compared to what I have read elsewhere but I would like to be able to get a map specific to my engine (i.e. after a rolling road session). The MBE unit is a locked by Cosworth unit and I would like flexibility that something like an Emerald would provide.I had an Emerald on my last car (K Series) and it was really easy to tweak.

Darren, does your method give you complete control over the mapping (using the Easimap software I assume) comparable to an Emerald do you know?

If anyone has gone Emerald I would like to know how difficult it is to swap.

Paul

Paul

To swap you "just" need to fit another connector to the loom. If you're skilled with electronics it's an easy job if a little time consuming. Wonder if not Karl has the sensor calibration maps.

However, I would not leave the MBE ECU. To me it's easy to map - just as easy as the Emerald. Not that I have a huge amount of experience though.

Paul,

I purchased a new ECU from SBD, it’s unlocked and I have full control. I was also disappointed to find no way forward with the OE Cosworth ECU. Although I understood recently that you can buy an upgrade kit for the CSR200 (from Cosworth) that includes an unlocked ECU? (TB+new ECU)

It’s worth having a chat with Cosworth, Andy Herring’s the chap on 01604 598263.

Both ECU's will do the job; I guess it’s down to what you’re comfortable with, changing a connector or learning the MBE easy map software.

Darren

Edited by - Darren Harrold on 21 Oct 2008 10:21:22

That would require a dead MBE ECU - and would add another possible source of poor connections. I would not recommend adaptors for anything but testing.

The looms from CC aren't that expensive should you need a new one. IMO that is. (I'm used to Danish prices... 😔 )

Thanks again for these comments *thumbup*

Darren, Thanks for the Cosworth contact and I will give Andy a call. If that fails and I cannot get anywhere to unlock the ECU I might just do the same thing as you and get a 992.

You mention in your last post about the need for calibration maps - what are they and where did you get yours? (I note you have a CSR200).

Regards,

Paul

If it's the same as the one on the MBE in my R400, I have one here in my desk drawer!

I got 2 to make an adapter harness so I could plug an Emerald ECU onto my R400.

So it adapted from the MBE connector to the Amp Econoseal type on the Emerald.

I'll try and get a pic loaded up.

I can, but we are an electronics company and make ECUs.

I might be that they are not available to the public, but it's a Delphi connector.

The UK agent are www.raffenday.com and thier part number for the PCB mounted header was 12110485

HTH

Quick update...

Caterham Midlands were very kindly able to check the map version in flash memory and update it to the latest while I waited (thanks again Bret *thumbup*). Apparently I was running several versions out of date so its now upgraded to version F (or was it E *confused*)

I'm going to try this and see how it affects slow speed / around town driving before doing anything further. I'll report back at the weekend after the L2B run.

If I do go down an unlocked ECU route then I think it will be via the MBE simply because it appears as flexible / accessible (for my needs anyway) as the Emerald and its simply a swap over using the existing connector.

Cheers,

Paul