Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which is stronger 6spd or BGH Heavy 5spd?

Willie.

Was chatting to a fellow Sevener yesterday about gearbags, and this question came up. Is the BGH Heavy Duty gear kit in a 5spd, stronger than the Caterham (Actually BGH) 6spd?

When I say stronger, I'm referring to handling big power and turks.

Both are based on the Type 9.

Also, ref the 5spd...is the alloy case seen as just as strong as cast iron? Or is it weaker/stronger? Better question might be, which has the history of bursting most?

Willie

Brian was quite dismissive of the 6-speed that I understood he (helped?) design(ed) when I was having my BGH HD done - but that might have been as much from the politics and sour taste in the mouth from the time...

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester Racing

7s Ecosse™

🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Not sure of a definitive answer on this one but my 260bhp/210lbft Duratec is fine with a BGH HD Sporting Close. The only problem I've had was due to a design differene with the Quaife Ali case I have but that was fixed very quickly and the now do the same modification to all Quaife Ali cased boxes.

I can't think of too many 250+bhp cars running a Caterham 6 speed box other than the CSR260.

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

I'm running one of Brians boxes in my 260, but that is mainly down to the preferred ratios of the BGH 5 speed, than any inherent weakness in the CC box, that I know of.

I'm sure that someone will be along in a minute with first hand experience *cool*

As a matter of interest, is this a theoretical question or for actual use? *wink*

Paul J.

Loud pipes save lives, but quiet ones save your hearing.

Actual use, I've a K Series, but its for someone fitting a torquey, big power Duratec. Toss up between the two, but the ratios are better suited on the BGH, so it has been decided to go that route.

Just about to put an advert in forsale, so if anyone wants a 6spd box, contact me.

RiF, tried ringing you there now (Sorry I only read your post, just in from work). I'll try again in half an hour or so.

Thanks for all the input guys, appreciated.

Willie

I've been looking at pretty much the same thing. I think my projected 270bhp/180lbft is going to be at or just past the design limitations of the CC 6-speed.

The choices (given the new Quaife sequential is out of my budget) seem to be:

new Quaife 5-speed H-pattern (around £3k exc, max recommended power: 375bhp)

old Quaife sequential (around £2k s/h, max recommended power: 275bhp)

BGH heavy duty sporting close 2.8 (around £1k ex, max recommended power: 280bhp)

Am I missing anything, or is the choice (in terms of price/purpose) really this clear cut *confused*.

The BGH 'boxes certainly seem to have a good rep., especially for longevity (road use being a bit kinder than sprinting and racing)

Darren E

K80RUM Website and Emerald maps library

Duratec SuperlightR

Edited by - k80rum on 20 Oct 2008 19:24:21

I'm not sure if that £1k price for BGH would include their newer heavier duty gearset that they have had custom made, hopefully it does as it solves a lot of the baulk ring/sync issues.

Otherwise yes I think it is that clear cut, oh accept if you go the sequential route some people have found it more succesful with different types of clutch. I can't remeber the exact detail but I'm sure someone fited one with a standard clutch and wrecked it very quickly.

You could get an Elite 😳 they are around £2k second hand as well.

Cheers

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Agreed Rob - The E8 which has improved 3rd&4th baulk rings over the E7 (is the E7 the version you're running?) would be closer to the £1.5k ex vat and I think I remember seeing on the BGH site that the prices were based on a box exchange.

I ditched the Elite idea in the end when I looked at the engine upgrade. Nice and light but comparable with the Mk1 Quaife sequential/CC 6-speed in terms of what power it can handle, so fine for vhpd but not for the Ford lump. Not sure I could have lived with the noise on the road day-to-day by all accounts either *smile*

Now if BGH could revamp a CC 6-speed along the basis of the E8 kit...I wonder how comparable the internals are.. *confused*

Darren E

K80RUM Website and Emerald maps library

Duratec SuperlightR

Edited by - k80rum on 20 Oct 2008 21:41:34