Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Upgrading a Supersprint 1700

a7bca

• Area Representative
i dont mind too much as i love the car whatever really! so if it needs a bit of love and attention and oh yes a couple of grand...

James

I do understand that, the same goes for my Crossflow, which is why I will not drop a Zetec in but get the Crossflow refreshed. If the car is right why change it?

Bob Stark: interesting idea about the oil loop. The spill into the catch tank is mostly under hard reving after a change and top ups, after which it settles down to a happy level.

Democratic dissent is not disloyalty, it is a positive civic duty.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and after everything, returned home today on the back of a recovery vehicle..... ☹️

got quite a lot of smoke coming out of then engine so pulled up, let it cool for a while, went a bit further and still the smoke. so pulled up in a layby.

had a look with the bonnet off, and smoke coming out of the oil filler cap underneath, with a bit of throttle, you could see jets of steam coming out... and a noise a bit like a small part had broken off and was knocking around inside

luckily, a fellow 7 owner drove by and pulled up and said hello, having built his own red sv, knew a bit, and had a look - thanks by the way if you read this....

anyhow at the risk of causing more damage, recovery vehicle phoned for....

back home now..

james

-----------------------------------------------------

Caterham Red 1991 De-Dion 1700 X/FLOW

my car habit...

hi

yes is a bit of a bugger, especially having only had it 3 months!

c'est la vie.

Hopefully wont be too bad. it is high on my list go get sorted though.

how terminal can it be.... *confused*

james

my car habit...

Really sorry to hear your news - I hope that it is something trivial. Otherwise at least summer is nearly over and you were ooking at upgrades anyway - so at least you don't need to justify getting the engine pulled out if necessary.

For what it is worth, it is normal to get some oil smoke from the filler cap, but not jets of steam.

Cheers,

Graham

------

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

To get the car on the road you could just drop in a 1600 fairly standard Xflow for pennies whilst you work out your next move.

Power isn't everything.I prefer just going for a drive sometimes.

I have often wondered if the price of fuel went to £10 a gallon what would I do?

Drive less miles in the 7 and keep the performance or downsize the engine to a 1.4 and change the gearbox from close ratio *confused*

I was driving through Stamford at the weekend following a merc 500 AMG this kid said wow look at that car, the guy in the merc was not pleased, once we got out of town he then over took everything in sight *smokin*

The car the Club built

Vvrrrooom

Edited by - MarcNS on 22 Sep 2008 12:57:44

hello

well it does suggest a bit of an opportunity i guess and a good winter project. since an upgrade of some sort was on the mind in any case..

whilst i had not really be considering and engine change, maybe the zetec option is a possibility.

have spoken to raceline who say the 2.0l blacktop zetec with their kit will come in around £3-£3.5k (if it fit it myself - that being a project with a big learning curve for me, but sounds like a fun option.) might start a new post on that have a few questions.

i assume there must be other places that do similar to so want to look around a bit.

still have more calls to make though on repairs, refreshes etc.....

james

my car habit...

Not exactly sure what a basic crossflow rebuild costs, but assuming that you are going for the forged piston option (presume that it hasn't got them already) its going to be in the £1500 ballpark at the cheapest assuming you don't scimp on the headgasket and other consumables. Having spent nearly 4 times that on crossflow rebuilds and upgrades this year the numbers are kind of ingraved into my memory. 😔

I'm almost at the end of my Xflow rebuild in that, I need to finally bolt the engine back together!

Cost for me so far;

Cylinder head unleaded conversion with GT valves and full gasflow £400.

Polish crank, resize big end journals, new piston rings (+30 cast pistons), full bottom end balance, new big end and main bearing shells, deck block 20 thou £568.

I have also upgraded other items such as steel rocker posts, steel rocker shaft spacers, steel crank pulley, ARP rod bolts and flywheel bolts, and high pressure oil pump, duplex timing gear set, but these aren't necessary for a road-going car really, just piece of mind for a hill-climb/sprint car.

I already had a full gasket set among the huge spares package that came with the car, but I did buy some copper race exhaust gaskets from 7 Workshop (expensive but re-usable).

All in all, a lot cheaper than a Zetec conversion (which won't add value to your car).

What a super thread this has become btw!

hi lesg, you will be glad to know the reversing lights, they are working perfectly!!! the glass is still in place...

that is what i need to get an idea of still, a proper rebuild of the current engine.

and if i am going to have the current engine rebuilt/fixed etc i would liketo work in a bit of an upgrade.. which is back where this thread started.. lol...! oh and if the engine is out an unleaded conversion would be nice.

is that where your work has been done the 7 workshop ? is a trek from you if it is?

i am torn between liking the car as is, old, basic, noisy, smelly etc.. and giving it some thing new, bit more grunt, a bit more speed....

james

my car habit...

James, glad the reverse lights have worked out for you!

I've found Chris at the 7 Workshop a great help during the rebuild/overhaul/upgrade of my Supersprint, and I've bought quite a lot through him. The engine work I had done (a lot) more locally, and the cylinder head via the 'back door' of Longman Racing (a friend of a friend).

Personally, I'm a retro kinda guy, but with a modern twist! There are lots more faster/more powerful Caterhams out there, but in the ratio of smiles-per-pound, is it really worth spending thousands more, when you'll only end up upgrading/modifying something more potent anyway? Ahh, decisions, decisions lol!

I hate to say this but beware the 7 Workshop as I was left to hang recently and was not amused, blatmail me and I'll explain why.

I used Cougar Engineering in Redditch who were absolutely brilliant. Nigel Keats is an old school type who really knows his stuff, builds some mad hill climb engines as well as road units and will let you work with him and learn if you want and is quite reasonable.

I rebuilt my xflow with him this winter which cost less than half cost of a Zetec and I have got 160bhp from a 1760cc running on unleaded with twin 40s, A6 cam, all balanced. Stage 4 head refurb and all other fancy bits from Burtons.

Can't recommend Nigel enough *thumbup*

just to add to this, was talking about caterham providing a history of the car...

well they do have an archive service where you can get their details for £25. although all i got were the original order forms, so not a great amount got £25.

however it does tell me that mine was originally sold as a 1600GT 84 bhp model.....

might explain the lack of grunt i originally mentioned.... although quite what it is now i am not sure! maybe i need to change my sign off....

james

my car habit...

OK them, my thoughts on the matter.

I had a 1700 super sprint dd with clams and at 35 thousand my engine was still going strong, supposedly 135bhp and feeling great after a new set of 4-1 pipes and a large race can were fitted freeing up the mid range power and a little top end.

As it was loosing a little oil into the catch tank I posted on Blat Chat for advice and the rebuild word kept poping up far to often. A suggestion was to go Zetec and to look at what was on offer at Raceline, I did and it was out of my reach at the time.

Raceline then introduced the kit buy, 2.0 blacktop Zetec at £1995 plus VAT, I had to have a go. I sold my car, a mint Mk1 MR2 T top to pay for it, sorely missed, especially with a long all weather cycle ride to work.

Raceline, brilliant, even delivered the engine to my door personally, had a look at my car and offered me advice on how to go about it and they were always at the end of the phone to offer advice when needed.

The change took me about a month as I made an extra effort to clean out the engine bay, the so called grot traps at the end of the footwell, underneath the car and the gearbox as it was out.

Two things worried me, the wiring and modifying the cam cover and plate behind the timing belt.

The wiring was easy, just sticky removing the tape holding all the wires together, moving the wires from the alternator from the near side of the engine bay to the off side front, the Omex ignition system was a doddle as it just plugged in and it was already mapped by Raceline.

The metal plate behind the timing belt had to be removed, modified for clearance, painted and replaced. This meant the timing belt had to come off, put back on and reset, this was done with the purchase of the correct tools, a good old Haynes manual and some advice off Blat Chat from America, the belt was re fitted with the engine in the car as I had to return the engine hoist.

The car started first time and has run reliably ever since, the best bit is that it has 160bhp over the X/flows suggested, some times overestimated 135bhp, the torque is so much better and mid range overtaking is in a different league, 100mph is taken in its stride.

I sold my exhaust for £650, the original 4-2-1 rear exit for about £150, this paid for the new system supplied by Raceline.

The X/flow 1700 engine went for £650, this helped towards the cost of the Zetec.

I miss the sound of the Xflow but I know have a modern engine with potential for more abuse complementing the 7 design. i also get to keep the car I love.

Would I do it again? YES *cool*

FreeRange7

Don't think k-series will fit in ford chassis.

Probably better to go for another ford engine (Zetec/Duratec etc) as should just drop straight in.

What you would spend upgrading a x/flow to get some decent power is easy to obtain with a moderately tuned 1.8/2.0 zetec.

thanks for the offer. i think my option will either now be rebuild of my engine or the new zetec. hope to find out tomorrow or the next day....

phil - sounds like you did well then. i do think the engine change would be a too big a first project for me. would probably take me until next summer as well....the zetec is probably my choice now having thought about it. of course though it still will depend on how the numbers stack up.... to a degree...

james

my car habit...

• Area Representative

James

I will certainly stick with my Crossflow.

Partly - money

Partly - an issue which won't affect you - I have an Ital rear axle and a Zetec would probably see off the diff (sooner or later)

Partly - the car feels right, really well balanced, drives really nicely (much better than my 21 with its VHPD)

Partly - there is enough power for my driving on the road (I've done a lot of that)

hi gjt

whereabouts are you, i take it you go to the penn meets?

were you there on saturday? i was there for a bit but had to shoot off.

alan recommended i talk to a couple of xflow owners there at the meet but did not manage to.

the xflow has one really big draw for me, and that is the sound. its a toughie.

i dont think money is the major factor now for me.

the pros and cons as i see it...

xflow

+ve: old original charm i like my car warts and all, it is the original engine, great sound, and as you say sufficient power for most driving needs.

-ve: limited life due to it being an old engine (but will i ever get to the next 20k miles), lots of cash to get back to the same place, will i have to worry about it on long trips in the future. I want to take it into europe for some good drives... lack of a decent upgrade path

zetec

+ve: good life span, huge instant upgrade, gr8 upgrade path, in theory the engine will meet all my future needs

-ve: cost, i dont think it will sound as good ? (i dont know though until it is there), it is not the original engine and changes the car fundamentally,

sensible vs heart ?

james

*confused*

my car habit...

• Area Representative

Hi James

Yes, I am often at Penn meetings but was not on Saturday past.

However, Oliver is another owner of a high mileage Crossflow - in his case over 120,000!

Next month? I hope to get there but my diary is ever changing.

well the magnificent 7 book says they are a live axle one. but the order form i have says de-dion. and from previous service it had at james whiting, he said mine is a dedion too.

so i think some of the last ones must have been dedion.

james

my car habit...